Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Hi!

I cannot resolve this issue:

She devoted learning all her time.

I was taught that the sentence has the MATRIX structure with ´learning´ functioning as an embedded CE - Indirect Object of nominal character (that is analysed as an a nominal non-finite -ing (gerund) clause)

but after the transfer of Oi into Adv position:

She devoted all her time to learning. how do we analyse ´to learning´?

Is it an ordinary Adverb phrase such as if it was in the sentence ´She devoted all her energy to different exercices´ and not an adverbial clause?

or is it an Adverbial clause of place/direction (in abstract sense) because of the gerund giving it a clausal character?

I was also thinking about ´to learning´ functioning as a prepositional object, but since Greenbaum and Quirk says ´Oi´ is transfered into ´Adv´ .. I already do not considere this an option.

thank you for your insights.

tomas hlava

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Thank you for your answer, Piscean.

I did not find it anywhere, I created the following sentences in order to practice clause elements being represented by embedded / subordinate clauses:

Thankful for the results, whole class considered the time they devoted to learning more valuable than they expected.
What none of them took into consideration was the fact that she devoted all her energy to learning.

I thought that ´to learning´ could be turend ´back´ into Oi.. Why is not the sentence you commented on possible? What is wrong with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.