• Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Red face CELTA interview prep and general 2nd application prep

Hi,

I just applied for CELTA course and I had a few questions.

I completed a general application form and a language awareness task. I have read about some people completing a 'pre-interview' task. Are the language awareness task and pre interview task the same thing or is it different?

Do you have any advice of acing the interview? I have one year experience in teaching History. I have heard of people with 8+ years of English teaching experience get rejected so I am feeling a bit worried. It would be great if you could some questions you were asked during the interview.

I am mentally prepared for rejection but I want to make sure that if that does happen, I will be more prepared for the second application. So, please suggest ways to prepare for it. Currently my IELTS score is 8 out of 9.

Thanks in advance

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: CELTA interview prep and general 2nd application prep

I'm guessing that the pre-interview task will most likely just be on language awareness, yes.

With your experience, and as long as your awareness is not terrible, you should probably be fine. It's not very common for CELTA courses to refuse candidates, in my experience. Good luck!

3. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Some training establishments give you a pre-interview task. If the establishment you are applying didn't, then don't worry about it. The language awareness task is part of the process of finding out if you are capable of completing the course successfully.

The most important thing about the interview is to be honest and natural. The interviewers are not trying to catch you out. They are attempting to assess whether you are likely to complete the course successfully. It is not in your interests to be accepted on a course for which you have paid a lot of money if there is a good chance of your not succeeding. You will not be expected to be know a great deal about TEFL - you would not be applying for the course if you were an experienced teacher - but the interviewers will expect you to show that you are interested enough in the work to have found out a little about it. Be clear in your own mind about why you want to become a teacher of EFL/ESOL; the interviewers are likely to be interested in this.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by mew2 View Post
    Hi.

I have just applied for a CELTA course and I had have a few questions.

I completed a general application form and a language awareness task. I have read about some people completing a 'pre-interview' task. Are the language awareness task and pre-interview task the same thing or is it are they different?

Do you have any advice of acing on how to ace the interview? I have one year's experience in teaching History. I have heard of people with 8+ years of English teaching experience get being rejected so I am feeling a bit worried. It would be great if you could tell me some questions you were asked during the interview.

I am mentally prepared for rejection but I want to make sure that if that does happen, I will be more prepared for the a/my second application. So, please suggest ways to prepare for it. Currently my IELTS score is 8 out of 9.

Thanks in advance.
    Note my corrections above. Good luck with your interview.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Red face Re: CELTA interview prep and general 2nd application prep

Hi everyone,
    I made it :).
    The course starts next week. I am a bit nervous and I hope I can pass.

6. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Well done.

Don't worry too much. CELTA training establishments accept only people they feel have the ability to pass. You will probably find it stressful - most trainees do - but the trainers are there to help you pass.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Well done.

As Piscean says, you will probably find it stressful—especially if you're doing it intensively. Remember we're here to help if you need any advice. Enjoy.