‘Students should be given complete freedom to choose which subjects to study at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
...school.'Agree or disagree?

Hello! I hope to receive a feedback about this one. :)

It is said that pupils should be allowed to pick their school disciplines. However, I disagree for a few reasons.

To begin with, students are often biased when it comes to school subjects and the opportunity to pick freely will affect their preparation. It is not a secret that some subjects are considered difficult to understand, unimportant or even unnecessary. For example, mathematics, foreign languages and history are often disliked by students because the information they give is not assimilated fast and easily by learners. Understandably, if students are given the opportunity to pick freely, many will surely exclude such basic disciplines from their school schedule because the majority of students are not well aware of their value. As a consequence, their preparation for real life will be influenced negatively. For these reasons, pupils should not be given unlimited freedom for picking school subjects.

Another point to consider is that leaving students to choose their subjects freely will lead to imbalance in education system. Many students may prefer to choose only one or two subjects, for example. Another possible situation would be the refusal of some students to pick subjects at all or to concentrate their efforts only on developing their physique or only their mental abilities. All of these sceneries will cause confusion and vagueness in education because students will be given complete freedom and, therefore, an endless variety of options for combining their interests will appear. That is why learners should not be given thorough freedom when it comes to choosing school subjects.

All things considered, it seems reasonable to conclude that although some people believe that students should be given complete freedom when they pick their school subjects, I do not agree at all. Giving unlimited freedom to young learners for choosing their school disciplines will affect their preparation for life negatively and will shake the balance in the education system.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It is said that pupils should be allowed to pick their school disciplines. However, I disagree for a few reasons.

To begin with, students are often biased when it comes to school subjects and the opportunity to pick freely will affect their future opportunities. [Strike]preparation.[/Strike] It is [Strike]not a[/Strike] no secret that some subjects are considered difficult, [Strike]to understand,[/Strike] unimportant or even unnecessary. For example, mathematics, foreign languages and history are often disliked by students because the information they [Strike]give[/Strike] learn from them is not assimilated fast and easily by learners. Understandably, if students are given the opportunity to pick freely, many will surely exclude such basic disciplines from their school schedule because the majority of students are not [Strike]well[/Strike] fully aware of their value. As a consequence, their preparation for real life will be [Strike]influenced[/Strike] negatively impacted. For these reasons, pupils should not be given unlimited freedom for picking school subjects.

Another point to consider is that leaving students to choose their subjects freely will lead to imbalance in the education system. [Strike]Many students may prefer to choose[/Strike] Only one or two poplar subjects would be chosen by the majority of students, for example. [Strike]Another possible situation would be the refusal of some students to pick subjects at all or to concentrate their efforts only on developing their physique or only their mental abilities. [/Strike]All of these [Strike]sceneries[/Strike] scenarios will cause confusion and [Strike]vagueness in[/Strike] weaken the education system because students will be given complete freedom and, therefore, an endless variety of options. [Strike]for combining their interests will appear.[/Strike] That is why learners should not be given [Strike]thorough[/Strike] total freedom when it comes to choosing their school subjects.

All [Strike]things considered, it seems reasonable to conclude that although some people believe that students should be given complete freedom when they pick their school subjects, I do not agree at[/Strike] in all, giving [Strike]unlimited freedom to[/Strike] young [Strike]learners for choosing[/Strike] students complete freedom to select their school [Strike]disciplines[/Strike] subjects will negatively affect their preparation for life as independent adults [Strike]negatively[/Strike] and will [Strike]shake[/Strike] disturb the balance in the education system.

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Thank you for the fast reply. I also wanted to know why these corrections have been made. Is it because there are grammatical/lexical mistakes or because these sentences sound better if corrected? I am asking you because I have limited time for writing in my exams and I am really worried because I do not have the time to think as carefully as I would like before writing.
Thank you in advance!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The only grammatical correction was "imbalance in the education system". The rest were about making the text more natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.