• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Need help to teach ESL Indian Students

Dear All'
    I have an ESL Class in INDIA Named Raj Spoken English class in Bhilai-Durg-Raipur and I use to write some article for that like the use of could
    use of can
    so I want to teach us accent to my students if anyone has ESL materials to teach us or UK accent so kindly help me.

Regards

Praveen
    Last edited by 1praveen1; 14-May-2018 at 13:36. Reason: Removed hyperlinks

2. VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Need help to teach ESL Indian Students

Training your students to speak with a US accent is probably the last thing you should be worrying about.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by 1praveen1 View Post
    Dear All' Hello everyone.

I have an ESL Class in INDIA India, named Raj Spoken English class in Bhilai-Durg-Raipur and I use to write some article for that like theuse of could
    use of can
    I don't understand the underlined part.
    so I want to teach my students to use a us US accent. to my students If anyone has any ESL materials to teach for teaching us a US or UK accent, so kindly help please let me know.

Regards

Praveen
    Welcome to the forum.

Please see my multiple corrections above. What age group are you teaching? What teaching qualification do you hold (for teaching English)? Why do you want to teach them a specific accent? It would be better to teach them basic English first and worry about their accent later (or let them worry about it!)
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

4. Junior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I, for one, would like to applaud Praveen for wanting to distinguish British English and American English from the very beginning as he/she teaches EFL in India. I have taught EFL for many years in Mainland China, and Mainland Chinese students have no idea of the difference. The result is a mess. They will speak British English in one sentence and American English in the next, and it sounds terrible. The sooner they can learn that there is a difference, the better. (As a matter of fact, I have each student declare from day one whether they want to learn British English or American English, and then I hold them to it.)

Praveen, please read my post in this thread, post #8, for ideas on how to teach EFL and how to create EFL materials.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/t...olute-beginner!!
    Last edited by NinjaTurtle; 08-May-2018 at 17:41.

VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

If switching from one of the British accents to one of the American accents between sentences were their only problem, that problem would not be a serious one, in my opinion. Most learners want to be able to communicate in the language they are learning. If they can do that, then refining the consistency of their accent us just cream on the jam, in my opinion.

I have taught English in mainland China, and I do not agree with your claim that "'Mainland Chinese students have no idea of the difference. The result is a mess."

6. Junior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi everyone!

I thought I’d give everyone a feeling for what it is like to teach the differences between British English and American English to students at a university in Mainland China.

Because of the severity of the problem, I always take a few minutes of each class (no matter what the subject is) and teach one or more examples of British English and American English. First, I write an example of one or the other on the board. Then, I ask the students to identify if it is British English or American English. (In a class of 30 students, five or six students will usually get it wrong and two or three students will get it right, but I believe this is mainly to lucky guessing). If it is American English, I ask them to tell me the British English equivalent. Or vice versa. In eight years of teaching in Mainland China, I have had them get this right perhaps twenty times (mainly because they have heard of “vacation” vs. “holiday”).

7. VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Can I ask what you mean by British English and American English? You're talking about vocabulary, right? Could you give some examples of some differences that might come up (other than holiday/vacation)?

(This post is addressed to Ninja Turtle.)
    Last edited by jutfrank; 10-May-2018 at 18:15.

8. Junior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Jutfrank,

Mostly what I am talking about are vocabulary differences (petrol/gas, flat/apartment) but there are also small grammar differences (in hospital vs. in the hospital). There are hundreds of differences, if you are interested.

(Sorry if I have hijacked the original intent of this thread.)
    Last edited by NinjaTurtle; 10-May-2018 at 19:06.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I completely understand the desire to explain the differences in vocabulary and some points of grammar, but I really don't think the accent should be the main thing to concentrate on.
    I have only ever taught one Chinese student (in Spain) and he really struggled with any kind of pronunciation. He was a relative beginner but, even so, I certainly wouldn't have taken him to task for pronouncing one word in a British accent, one in an American accent and the next in an Australian accent. I simply wanted him to speak!

It would be good to hear something from 1praveen1.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

10. Junior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

emsr2d2,

It is all about the level of the student. The vast majority of Mainland China English students are “false beginners”. They have a high level of passive knowledge of English but their ability to speak in complete English sentences is terrible.

Regarding the teaching of pronunciation of British English vs. American English differences: I have put together a curriculum of British English vs. American English. The pronunciation differences are taught at an appropriate point in the curriculum, taught to students with an appropriate level of English speaking ability. Pronunciation differences are taught as just one more group of differences between of British English and American English.

The British English term of "go on holiday" is a term that even beginning students should learn and be aware of.

They always find the differences between "mountain" and "moun'n" to be hilarious! I get them to say, "President Clin'n climbed Yellow Moun'n to drink from the foun'n." It really cracks them up. (Yellow Mountain is a famous mountain in China.)
    Last edited by NinjaTurtle; 10-May-2018 at 20:47.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last