Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Something's wrong here. You said that your original sentence was self-written. What did you think you meant?

What I think is that at first religions are faiths, faiths become religion in time. Some people believe in some credos, this is the faith at first. These credo's become more organized and the followers rise in time. This is the religion.

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's no set progression of terminology for a religion - again you seem to be trying to pigeonhole and label things that aren't inherently so cut and dried. Christian/Buddist/Islamic/X faith' is simply a synonym for 'religion' in this context. If anything, according to this entry #3 , 'faith' is a particularly strong belief in a religion - almost the opposite of your supposed order.

People believe in whatever it is they believe in. Terms like 'religion, cult, and faith' are just labels used to describe those belief systems.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't include "cult" in that list. It implies a belief system, usually with a charismatic leader, that requires cutting or severely reducing contact with non-cult-members.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I wouldn't include "cult" in that list. It implies a belief system, usually with a charismatic leader, that requires cutting or severely reducing contact with non-cult-members.

Cult also made me think, inspired by a similar Turkish word, magic and magical things, mystery but mostly bad one along with a charismatic leader. Is cult closely related to occult?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is cult closely related to occult?

Etymologically, no. But a secret cult may well engage in occult activities. Mine does.

Status
Not open for further replies.