1. matilda

Talking 220-he

Hello all

Look at the following paragraph and tell me what does (he) refer to? And I have another question. What does the sentence which I put in three parentheses mean?

Maybe Sharpe’s greatest stroke of good fortune was meeting Sean Bean. (He) has also been outrageously lucky in his other friends who, collectively, are the Sharpe Appreciation Society. (He) would not think there was that much to appreciate (((?bloody daft, really’))), but on his behalf, I can thank you for being his friends and assure you that, so long as I have anything to do with him, he will not let you down.

Thank you all

Matilda

Re: 220-he

Quote Originally Posted by matilda View Post
    Hello all
    Look at the following paragraph and tell me what does (he) refer to? And I have another question. What does the sentence which I put in three parentheses mean?
    Maybe Sharpe’s greatest stroke of good fortune was meeting Sean Bean. (He) has also been outrageously lucky in his other friends who, collectively, are the Sharpe Appreciation Society. (He) would not think there was that much to appreciate (((?bloody daft, really’))), but on his behalf, I can thank you for being his friends and assure you that, so long as I have anything to do with him, he will not let you down.
    Thank you all
    Matilda
    "He" refers to Sharpe here. The person speaking the above lines
    is introducing Sharpe, or talking about him, and says that Sharpe
    has been extremely lucky to have other friends (other than Sean Bean).
    These friends are collectively (together) referred to as the "Sharpe
    Appreciate Society". Sharpe himself would not think that there was
    much to appreciate. "Bloody daft, really" means "pretty silly/idiotic/insane,
    really" that they are appreciating him. But the person speaking the
    above lines goes on to say that he can thank them (people who are
    Sharpe's friends) for being his (Sharpe's) friends.

I hope the advanced members can correct me or add other
    information.