• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: A Chinese scholar

Thank you! "school of thought" should be the proper word. Other scholars also studied Zhu Xi's school of thought, but they had bias. Wu didn't use his other knowledge to promote Zhu Xi's ideas. So I did a few change.

In general, Wu Cheng's philosophy was mostly influenced by Zhu Xi. The former undertook to develop Zhu Xi’s school of thought, but Wu Cheng had less sectarian bias than other average Zhu Xi scholars during the late Song dynasty and early Yuan dynasty, which was rare and commendable. Wu Cheng embraced Confucian heritage fully from the Song dynasty, and developed it with his own input. In addition to his proficiency in Confucian classics, he also had knowledge in a wide range of subjects such as astronomy, geography, medicine and divination. His poems and essays were polished, graceful, elegant and magnificent. His contemporaries believed that only Wu Cheng could match Zhu Xi in terms of having extensive knowledge during that era.
    Last edited by *^^*; 17-May-2018 at 13:09.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by *^^* View Post
    Thank you! "school of thought" should be is the right phrase. proper word. Other scholars also studied followed Zhu Xi's school of thought, but they had bias. Wu didn't use his other knowledge to promote Zhu Xi's ideas. So I did made a few changes.

In general, Wu Cheng's philosophy was mostly influenced by Zhu Xi. The former undertook to develop Zhu Xiís school of thought, but Wu Cheng had less sectarian bias than some ordinary other average Zhu Xi scholars during the late Song dynasty and early Yuan dynasty, which was rare and commendable. Wu Cheng embraced Confucian heritage fully from the Song dynasty, and developed it with his own input. In addition to his proficiency in Confucian classics, he also had knowledge in a wide range of subjects such as astronomy, geography, medicine and divination. His poems and essays were polished, graceful, elegant and magnificent. His contemporaries believed that only Wu Cheng could match Zhu Xi in terms of having extensive knowledge during that era.
    Try that.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Two things. If you are going to use the word "magnificent" you don't need the other adjectives. Also, say: "extensive knowledge of that era".

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Two things. If you are going to use the word "magnificent" you don't need the other adjectives.
    I can see your point, but I think that combination of adjectives is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Also, say: "extensive knowledge of that era".
    That's a good point, but of course the meaning would potentially change. I wonder which one the OP meant.

5. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Thank you! "school of thought" should be the proper word. Other scholars also studied Zhu Xi's school of thought, but they had bias. Wu didn't use his other knowledge to promote Zhu Xi's ideas. So I did a few change.

In general, Wu Cheng's philosophy was mostly influenced by Zhu Xi. The former undertook to develop Zhu Xi’s school of thought, but Wu Cheng had less sectarian bias than other average Zhu Xi scholars during the late Song dynasty and early Yuan dynasty, which was rare and commendable. Wu Cheng embraced Confucian heritage fully from the Song dynasty, and developed it with his own input. In addition to his proficiency in Confucian classics, he also had knowledge in a wide range of subjects such as astronomy, geography, medicine and divination. His poems and essays were polished, graceful, elegant and magnificent. His contemporaries believed that only Wu Cheng could match Zhu Xi in terms of having extensive knowledge during that era.
    he also appointed himself to continue the study of Zhu Xi school.
    What you wrote in your original text about Wu Cheng continuing his studies at the Zhu Xi school is completely different to saying that he was to "develop a school of thought" laid down by Zhu Xi.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

To the OP: are you talking about an actual physical school?

7. Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

1. The original text wants to express that Wu thought himself as a scholar whose thoughts was the extension of Zhu Xi's school of thought. I misused the word "school" as "the school of thought" .
    2. What does OP mean? e.g. I wonder which one the OP meant.
    3. I guess during that era is better. The source language said after Zhu Xi passed away, only Wu could match Zhu.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

You are the original poster, the OP.
    I am not a teacher.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Then use "school of thought" and "during that era".

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

It's my translation of a review about a past scholar.
    If you meant the scholar was already dead, I would say "a late scholar".
    I am not a teacher.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2