Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi,
Suppose I have to bank accounts. One of them has 100$ and the other has 200$. And I want to write a letter to an institution to tell them the total balance in both accounts, which is 300$. And I want to say that my account was active with transactions, something like "Transactionally active".
Should I say it this way,

1- I wanted to denote that the total balance in both my USD and MVR accounts had 300£ during the last 3 months.

2- My bank account for the last 3 months was transactionally active.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How many of the accounts were active?

Eslam Elbyaly

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi,
Suppose I have [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE]two bank accounts. One of them has 100$ and the other has 200$. And I want to write a letter to an institution to tell them the total balance in both accounts, which is 300$. And I want to say that my account was active with transactions, something like "Transactionally active".
Should I say it this way,

1- I wanted to [STRIKE]denote[/STRIKE] tell them that the total balance in both my USD and MVR accounts had 300£ during the last 3 months.
What do you mean by USD and MVR accounts? If the accounts are active, I think the amount would not be fixed.

2- My bank account for the last 3 months was transactionally active.

This is to inform you that I have a total balance of xxx in my two bank accounts. Please refer to the copies of the bank statements attached.
(The bank statements of your accounts would be self-explanatory)

Eslam Elbyaly

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
This is to inform you that I have a total balance of xxx in my two bank accounts.
Is not there a chance they think that each account has 300$?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Is not there[/STRIKE] Isn't there/Is there not a chance they will think that each account has 300$?

You can get around that by saying "The combined balance of the two accounts is/was $300 [on + date]". If both the accounts were active, it is very unlikely that the balances remained stuck at $100 and $200 for an extended period, so you need to tell them the date of the balance(s).

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Is not there a chance they think that each account has 300$?

"Total" is the combined amounts from the two accounts. As I said, the bank statements would tell everything.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Total" is the combined amounts from the two accounts. As I said, the bank statements would tell everything.

That's true but the OP made no mention of including/enclosing/attaching bank statements.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
That's true but the OP made no mention of including/enclosing/attaching bank statements.

I think that is also the only way to prove that an account is active.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's also the only way to prove what the balance was. I doubt any institution would simply take someone's word for it.

Eslam Elbyaly

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
It's also the only way to prove what the balance was. I doubt any institution would simply take someone's word for it.
My question started with "Suppose". My question is about how Should I say something like this in English, correctly. Maybe I will need to say a similar sentence to a person, not a bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.