Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Hello.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

"Unable to hide his disappointment at Chuck's advice, he preferred to leave the place without saying goodbye, and arrive as soon as possible at home to lie on his bed, since the disbelief that showed that person who considered a wise man after listening affected even more his fragile mental state."

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"since the disbelief that showed that person who considered a wise man after listening affected even more his fragile mental state."

Thanks.
It's hard to tell the meaning of the above. What exactly affected his fragile state? It would have to be "the disbelief that showed that person who considered a wise man after listening". But I can't work out a meaning for that.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Whose disbelief? Who considered who a wise man?
After listening to what?
Why is "arrive" in the present tense?
There is too much to be put in a sentence. There are too many unknowns for it to make sense.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You started by asking 'Are the following sentences grammatically correct?' and then quoted a single, convoluted sentence. Did you write it yourself?

Nikitus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
It's hard to tell the meaning of the above. What exactly affected his fragile state? It would have to be "the disbelief that showed that person who considered a wise man after listening". But I can't work out a meaning for that.

Dear Raymott: Thanks for your help

After telling his friend Chuck that a ghost visited him, he was even more affected when he realized that Chuck did not believe him.

So, about: The disbelief that showed that person who considered a wise man after listening, you are right.

Nikitus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Whose disbelief? Who considered who a wise man?, Yes

After listening to what?

He told to his friend Chuck that a ghost visited him

Why is "arrive" in the present tense?

It was my mistake. "he preferred to leave the place without saying goodbye, and arrived as soon as possible at home to lie on his bed."

There is too much to be put in a sentence. There are too many unknowns for it to make sense.

Yes, you are right.

Nikitus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
You started by asking 'Are the following sentences grammatically correct?' and then quoted a single, convoluted sentence. Did you write it yourself?

Yes, I wroted my myself. I agree that I need more sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I [STRIKE]wroted[/STRIKE] wrote [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] it myself.

Take more care with your posts please. I'm sure you would have noticed those errors if you had read your text again before actually posting it.

Nikitus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
This is my attempt to rewrite the sentences:

"Unable to hide his disappointment at Chuck's advice, Tim left the place without saying goodbye, and arrived as soon as possible to his home to lie on his bed, since the disbelief that showed Chuck, who considered a wise man after listening his experience, affected even more his fragile mental state."

Thanks.

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's still too long for one sentence, and there are errors.

Unable to hide his disappointment at Chuck's reaction, Tim left without saying goodbye and went home to lie down as quickly as possible. Chuck's disbelief had really affected his fragile mental state, especially since he had considered Chuck a wise man.

(Not believing a story about a ghost doesn't show that Chuck isn't wise. It just shows that he is sceptical.)

Nikitus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Dear emsr2d2: Once again, thanks for your help and time.

You are right, about Not believing a story about a ghost doesn't show that Chuck isn't wise. It just shows that he is sceptical.

Since that specific sentences are written from Tim's point of view, he considered that the wisdom he attributed to Chuck (something that is objectively true) was wrong because he did not believe or give the importance that Tim had expected to the visit of the "ghost".

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.