Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

I was looking in longman dictionary to find out more about the meaning of benefit when I faced the following sentence

I hope that the decision taken today will be to the benefit of the whole nation.
https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/benefit

I thing this example should be

I hope that the decision has taken today will be to the benefit of the whole nation.
Besides this I cannot understand what that will is doing there before be. Could someone tell me what structure this is?

Best Regards,
Amir

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

I was looking in the Longman dictionary to find out more about the meaning of "benefit" when I [STRIKE]faced[/STRIKE] found/saw the following sentence:

I hope that the decision taken today will be to the benefit of the whole nation.

Source: https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/benefit

I [STRIKE]thing[/STRIKE] think this example should be:

I hope that the decision has taken today will be to the benefit of the whole nation.

[STRIKE]Besides this[/STRIKE] Also, I cannot understand [STRIKE]what[/STRIKE] why [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] "will" is [STRIKE]doing there[/STRIKE] used before "be". Could someone tell me what structure this is?

[STRIKE]Best regards,[/strike] Unnecessary.
[strike]Amir[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Your suggestion to add the word "has" is incorrect. The start of the sentence means "I hope that the decision that was taken today". Someone took a decision today. That decision was taken.

"will be" is the future form of the verb "be". The speaker is expressing the hope that the decision (that was) taken today will, in the future, be beneficial to everyone in the country.

Please note my corrections and amendments to your original post in the quote box above.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status
Not open for further replies.