• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Post Letter

I wrote a short letter for my foreign supervisor. Can I paste it here for checking? because I should write to him correctly.

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: Letter

Yes, you can, but please remove any personal information like names and addresses.

3. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Is the below letter grammatically correct? and If I want to address my supervisor, say his first name or the last name which one is better and Politely?

Dear Jones,
    I saw the Netherlands Embassy’s website. They recommended, for staying longer than 90 days, is better to apply through a sponsor in the Netherlands.
    In addition, I asked this question (getting a visa?) of my some friends that spend their sabbatical in the Netherlands. They answered to me; your supervisor introduced you to the department secretary, after that she will take you some documents e.g. financial support and sending to Human Resource (HR) then HR sending to IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service). After that, you should refer to Netherlands Embassy in your country and follow other processes.
    Would you mind finding the attached my financial support?
    Best Wishes,
    M.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by MK22 View Post
    Is the below letter below grammatically correct? and If I want to address my supervisor, say is it more polite to use his first name or the his last name? which one is better and Politely?
    It depends on the level of formality you normally use with your supervisor. If you usually address him by his first name, use that. If not, use "Mr" and his surname.

Dear Mr Jones,

I saw have looked at the Netherlands Embassy’s website. They recommended recommend that, for staying stays of longer than 90 days, it is better to apply through a sponsor in the Netherlands.

In addition, I asked this question (about getting a visa no question mark here) of some of my some friends that who spend spent/are spending their sabbatical in the Netherlands. They answered to told me (no semi-colon here) your that my supervisor introduced should introduce you me to the department secretary, after that she who will take you some documents from me e.g. (such as a letter of financial support) and sending send them to Human Resources (HR), who will then HR sending send them to IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service). After that, you should I will need to refer to the Netherlands Embassy in your country here and follow other processes. (I don't know what the underlined part means.)

Would you mind finding the attached my financial support? The underlined part doesn't make sense. How can you attach the letter of financial support if your supervisor is supposed to provide it to you?

Best wishes/Regards/Yours

M.
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.