• Post Thanks / Like

Smile difference

what is the difference between "specially" and "especially"

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: difference

I don't think there is much of a difference between the two. I would use "especially" for more emphasis.

• Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: difference

Yes, there is. Here’s what I copied from the BBC:Roger Woodham replies: Especially and specially I don't think the distinction has been completely neutralised either. It is certainly the case that in usage these two adverbs are often confused and can sometimes be used with the same meaning.specially = for a particular purposeHowever, when specially is used to mean for a particular purpose, this form of the adverb is the norm:This shower gel is specially designed for people with sensitive skins.This computer programme is specially for children with learning difficulties.My father made this model aeroplane specially for me. especially = particularly / above allWe tend to use especially for emphasis, meaning particularly or above all:These butterflies are particularly noticeable in April and May, especially in these meadows.You'll enjoy playing tennis at our local club, especially on weekdays when it's not so busy. Before adjectives, meaning particularly, especially is more usual:The road between Cairo and Alexandria is especially dangerous at night.It is a bit nippy, but it's not especially cold for this time of year. Regards