anybody / somebody

Is the sentence below correct?

Does anybody here know how to pronounce it?

(Or shall I rather use "somebody"?)

Re: anybody / somebody

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka View Post
    Is the sentence below correct?

Does anybody here know how to pronounce it?

(Or shall I rather use "somebody"?)
    The sentence is correct. It would be incorrect to use 'somebody'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda

Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    The sentence is correct. It would be incorrect to use 'somebody'.

Sorry, but I do not agree. . Without going into all the grammar and usage of somebody/anybody, this is a case where both are corrrect. Using somebody often suggests that you expect a positive response, while using anybody may suggest you think the answer will be No.

Sorry, I agree with coffa. Any and some are used in different ways.
    Anybody/anyone + singular verb: if anyone calls, tell them I`ll back...
    use somebody in offers, requests, and questions that expect or hope for a yes¨¨ answer. Could somebody give some help?
    In other questions use anybody. Did anybody get the letters?

Quote Originally Posted by DavyBCN View Post
    Sorry, but I do not agree. . Without going into all the grammar and usage of somebody/anybody, this is a case where both are corrrect. Using somebody often suggests that you expect a positive response, while using anybody may suggest you think the answer will be No.
    That is indeed when 'somebody' is used, but I fail to see how this question can be asked in such a way that a positive response would be expected.

"Does somebody here know how to pronounce it?" - It's a neutral question, so 'somebody' is incorrect.

"Surely somebody here knows how to pronounce it?" - In THIS case, 'somebody' is the correct word.

By the way, using 'anybody' does not suggest that you expect a negative answer - just that you don't expect a positive one. These are not the same thing.

That is indeed when 'somebody' is used, but I fail to see how this question can be asked in such a way that a positive response would be expected.
    "Does somebody here know how to pronounce it?" - It's a neutral question, so 'somebody' is incorrect.
    "Surely somebody here knows how to pronounce it?" - In THIS case, 'somebody' is the correct word.
    By the way, using 'anybody' does not suggest that you expect a negative answer - just that you don't expect a positive one. These are not the same thing.
    "Someone" is correct if the person asking the question is certain that someone knows the answer. Does someone here speak Chinese? (I'm in a Chinese restaurant.)

If the questioner is uncertain, then "anyone" is the correct choice. Does anyone here speak Chinese? (I'm in a Mexican restaurant.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda

The last part of your quote is a better way to put what I was trying to say. I don't disagree that strongly with your post, or River's next post, but I would still use both in the sentence quoted. I like your use of surely, but could have the same effect by saying does somebody with an appropriate emphasis on somebody.