• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Question Apple of my eye meaning and uses of the phrase

hi my name is Derrick. I work with Elementary schoolers as well as middle schoolers and I am a site director for summer camps during the school offseason. I just had a question about a phrase that I've heard growing up that I've used before in the past with my students. The phrase is apple of my eye. Is this a phrase that is okay to use with students? I'm asking because I've heard this used by my teachers when I was in school as a term of endearment and a appreciation when we've done something good or just being a good person, and I've used this before in the past with my students. I just want to make sure that this is an appropriate phrase to use with students. I just want to make sure that my words are not being mistaken for something inappropriate. Much appreciated!

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Apple of my eye meaning and uses of the phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick71 View Post
    Hi. My name is Derrick. I work with elementary schoolers as well as middle schoolers and I am a site director for summer camps during the school offseason. I just had have a question about a phrase that I've I heard growing up and that I've used before in the past with my students. The phrase is "apple of my eye". Is this a phrase that is okay to use with students? I'm asking because I've I heard this used by my teachers when I was in school as a term of endearment and or a of appreciation when we've we'd done something good, or just for being a good person. and I've used this before in the past with my students. I just want to make sure that this is an appropriate phrase to use with students. I just want to make sure that my words are not being mistaken for something inappropriate. Much appreciated!
    Welcome to the forum.

Hmm, I don't think it's inappropriate in the way you might be thinking it is but I don't think the classroom is the right setting for it. It's usually used by a parent about one of their children, and the suggestion is that that child is their favourite. It means that you treasure/cherish that person more than anyone else. Consequently, you could really only use it towards one person, not a whole class. In this day and age, though, I think there is a good chance that someone would deem it entirely inappropriate. I'd avoid it. I don't think there's any need for terms of endearment between teachers and students. There are plenty of ways to praise students for good behaviour or good work.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.