Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hi my name is Derrick. I work with Elementary schoolers as well as middle schoolers and I am a site director for summer camps during the school offseason. I just had a question about a phrase that I've heard growing up that I've used before in the past with my students. The phrase is apple of my eye. Is this a phrase that is okay to use with students? I'm asking because I've heard this used by my teachers when I was in school as a term of endearment and a appreciation when we've done something good or just being a good person, and I've used this before in the past with my students. I just want to make sure that this is an appropriate phrase to use with students. I just want to make sure that my words are not being mistaken for something inappropriate. Much appreciated!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. My name is Derrick. I work with elementary schoolers as well as middle schoolers and I am a site director for summer camps during the school offseason. I just [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] have a question about a phrase that [STRIKE]I've[/STRIKE] I heard growing up and that I've used [STRIKE]before[/STRIKE] in the past with my students. The phrase is "apple of my eye". Is this a phrase that is okay to use with students? I'm asking because [STRIKE]I've[/STRIKE] I heard this used by my teachers when I was in school as a term of endearment [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] or [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] of appreciation when [STRIKE]we've[/STRIKE] we'd done something good, or just for being a good person. [STRIKE]and I've used this before in the past with my students.[/STRIKE] I just want to make sure that this is an appropriate phrase to use with students. I just want to make sure that my words are not being mistaken for something inappropriate. Much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Hmm, I don't think it's inappropriate in the way you might be thinking it is but I don't think the classroom is the right setting for it. It's usually used by a parent about one of their children, and the suggestion is that that child is their favourite. It means that you treasure/cherish that person more than anyone else. Consequently, you could really only use it towards one person, not a whole class. In this day and age, though, I think there is a good chance that someone would deem it entirely inappropriate. I'd avoid it. I don't think there's any need for terms of endearment between teachers and students. There are plenty of ways to praise students for good behaviour or good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.