Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I've tried to use the word "in" in my sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. John opened the door and let the cat in.
2. Linda cut an apple in half and gave the two pieces to her children.
3. Bob handed his homework in and anxiously waited for the results.
4. Anna glared at me in anger when I told her we were not going to Paris.
5. Maria went to her job interview dressed in her designer jacket, which she had bought just for this purpose.
6. Tom made his debut in the England football team as 18 years old.
7. When Gina arrived to customs and passport control, she couldn't find her passport and started frantically searching for it in her bag.
8. The famous hotel, where many authors spent years living and writing, now lies in ruins.
9. Peter's most difficult decision in his life was when he had to put down his dog.
10. Tom was angry with the police because they used to pull him over a few times a month, although they all knew he was a professional musician, and had to drive late in his van after his concerts.
11. Dressed in a white linen suit, Ivan was eye catching and handsome. Sometimes he heard women whispering in his ear "I want you" as he was standing in a bus queue.
13. Gina sat in a shade, looking in disbelief at tourists who lay for hours on the beach under the scorching sun.
14. When the tide was in, Robert raised the anchor and sailed off.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've tried to use the word "in" in my sentences. Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. John opened the door and let the cat in. :tick:

2. Linda cut an apple in half and gave the two pieces to her children. :tick: (I'd prefer "Linda cut the apple in two and gave her children half each" but yours is OK.)

3. Bob handed his homework in and anxiously waited for the results. :tick: ("Bob handed in his homework ..." works just as well.)

4. Anna glared at me in anger when I told her we were not going to Paris. :tick: ("Anna glared at me angrily ..." would be more natural in BrE.)

5. Maria went to her job interview dressed in her designer jacket, which she had bought just for this purpose. :tick: (I'd use "wearing" rather than "dressed in" though. I'd use "for just this occasion" at the end.)

6. Tom made his debut in the England football team as 18 years old. Hmm, maybe a football fan will be more certain about this but I think its "for the England ...". I'm pretty sure you meant "at", not "as".)

7. When Gina arrived [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] at [STRIKE]customs and[/STRIKE] passport control, she couldn't find her passport and started frantically searching for it in her bag. See my correction. Passengers generally go through passport control first and, obviously, need their passport. Customs comes afterwards, once you've got all your luggage and you don't need a passport to go through Customs. However, if you're pulled by Customs for a baggage search, they'll want to see your passport too.

8. The famous hotel, where many authors spent years living and writing, now lies in ruins. :tick: (I'd probably use "in which", not "where".)

9. The most difficult decision in Peter's [STRIKE]most difficult decision in his[/STRIKE] life was [STRIKE]when he had to put[/STRIKE] putting [strike]down[/strike] his dog down.

10. Tom was angry with the police because they used to pull him over a few times a month, although they all knew he was a professional musician, and had to drive his van late at night [STRIKE]in his van[/STRIKE] after his concerts. There's a bit of confusion with the tenses. Is he still angry because they used to pull him over? Have they stopped pulling him over? Why is he still angry? Does he still drive his van late at night?

11. Dressed in a white linen suit, Ivan was eye catching and handsome. Sometimes, [STRIKE]he heard[/STRIKE] women [STRIKE]whispering[/STRIKE] whispered [STRIKE]in his ear[/STRIKE] "I want you" in his ear [STRIKE]as he was[/STRIKE] while standing in a bus queue.

13. Gina sat in [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the shade, looking in disbelief at tourists who lay for hours on the beach under the scorching sun.

14. When the tide was in, Robert raised [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] anchor and sailed off.

See above. Corrections are in red. Comments are in blue. What happened to number 12?

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Thank you, emsrs2d2.

Regarding the number 6. it should be "Tom made his debut for the England football team as a 18 years old. (I didn't meant "at", but I made a mistake by not adding "a" before 18-year old.

Regarding the number 10. I imagined that Tom's bad experience with the police was in the past, but we don't know if it that happens nowadays also.
Regarding the number 12. I didn't notice I missed it until I saw your correction.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
6. I missed the rest of the sentence about the footballer.

Tom made his debut for [the] England [football team] as an 18-year-old.
Tom made his debut for [the]England [football team] at the age of 18.
Tome made his debut for [the] England [football team] at 18.

If we already know he's a footballer, you can omit "the" and "football team".

10. If it still happens, "Tom is angry with the police because they pull him over a few times a month, even though they know he's a professional musician who has to drive late at night after his concerts."

Note that it's "Regarding number 6/10/12" (no article).

Status
Not open for further replies.