the deffrence between I'm and am ?!

hi guys,

actually i'm quite confused, i know how to start the sentence with i'm and the usage of it, but so often i read sentences start with am ( without including the pronoun I )

so my question is, when do we use 'am' in the sentence without the 'I' ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: the deffrence between I'm and am ?!

I am sorry, but I cannot think of a grammatical English sentence that begins with the word am. Maybe one of the other teachers can. For the purposes of learning English, I'm and I am are exactly the same.

If you could give us an example of a sentence beginning with am, we will try to help you.

The only thing I can think of is possibly some sort of "short form English". Do you get a lot of SMS messages, Meshaal?

Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    I am sorry, but I cannot think of a grammatical English sentence that begins with the word am. Maybe one of the other teachers can. For the purposes of learning English, I'm and I am are exactly the same.
    If you could give us an example of a sentence beginning with am, we will try to help you.
    thanks alot mykwyner for ur reply, and i do know that i am is i'm :).

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    The only thing I can think of is possibly some sort of "short form English". Do you get a lot of SMS messages, Meshaal?
    it might be a short form english, but i usually read it in the MSN messeneger when my english friends send me msgs, i don't rememeber the sentence coz it was long time ago, but the question remain in my mind :).

it also might be a wrong usage of this word, coz i often read english ppl msgs when they write crap english lol.

anyway, if it's grammatically correct, hope to be explained.

many thanks Philly for ur reply :)

Rather than thinking of such a usage as "grammatically correct", you should just think of it as "lazy" English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Rather than thinking of such a usage as "grammatically correct", you should just think of it as "lazy" English.
    I agree as far as messaging and chatroom English is concerned. There is a fairly common "literary" usage however. Often when someone is thinking about themselves a lot of writers drop the I. "Am feeling a little unwell today", etc. It is also found in diaries, where it is also common to drop the I am, and just say "Feeling a little unwell today. As this is a very specific situation, perhaps best described as contemplation, it is generally considered completely acceptable.