• Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Re: How do Americans pronounce "Herb"?

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    You seem eager to synthesise a general rule from a single point of reference, and to nail it down geographically, while things are often more amorphous and flexible.
    I am eager to know about how words are pronounced in the US in particular, because I love American accent a lot. And I also like Australian accent. But since I saw that video clip on YouTube this person has a nasal accent like Americans and he is pronouncing the "H" sound in "herb". And because Probus in post 7 says, personally he sounds the "h", I infer from his post that perhaps Canadians don't say "erbs" but "Herbs".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFU91udw6HA
    Last edited by Aamir Tariq; 18-Sep-2018 at 19:19. Reason: Forgot to include the YouTube link

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

There are many American accents, though.

3. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    There are many American accents, though.
    Yeah, I know, just as there are many accents in Britain as well. But when we are talking about American accent in general we are referring to the standard American accent. Like the standard British accent is the accent of the Queen of Great Britain and the Royal family. I think they speak with clear accent that is easy to comprehend by everyone. Because when we are watching a cricket match that is being played in England on channels like Sky Sports, we get to hear British commentators from different parts of England with different British accents.

4. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Aamir Tariq View Post
    Like the standard British accent is the accent of the Queen of Great Britain and the Royal family.
    Not at all.
    Typoman - writer of rongs

5. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    Not at all.
    Then I can presume the standard British accent is what we hear on BBC News. Is that correct?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Aamir Tariq View Post
    Then I can presume the standard British accent is what we hear on BBC News. Is that correct?
    Not any more, in my opinion. There are multiple accents on BBC News, both on TV and on radio. The days when one heard only a Home Counties accent are long gone. Regional accents are not only heard but positively encouraged.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

7. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

I don't think it is possible these days to speak of a 'standard' spoken British English. One can't even realistically say that there is a standard English English or even standard Southern English English.

The words pronounced for online dictionaries and CDs accompanying printed dictionaries are often pronounced in what some call 'modern RP' (Received Pronunciation' though, as John Wells notes inthe 3rd edition of his Longman Pronunciation Dictionary (2008): RP itself inevitably changes as the years pass. There is also a measure of diversity within it. Furthermore, the democratization undergone by English society during the second half of the twentieth century means that it is nowadays necessary to define RP in a rather broader way than was once customary.

Roach et al reject the idea of RP in their English Pronouncing Dictionary (16th edn, 2003), They prefer 'BBC English',
    the pronunciation of professional speakers employed by the BBC as newsreaders [...] as well as many commercial broadcasting organisations. They do, however admit that individual broadcasters all have their own personal characteristics and an increasing number of broadcasters with Scottish, Welsh and Irish accents are employed. For their recordings, they settle on an accent typical of English broadcasters, and there is a useful consistency in the broadcast speech of these speakers.
    Typoman - writer of rongs

8. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Interestingly, there are differences of accent within the royal family- some of the younger members, like Prince Harry, speak something that mixes RP with features of Estuary English.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Any standard is ultimately an arbitrary form by which to compare other forms, for whatever reason that may be. In the past, it may have been considered desirable by some people to sound like the Queen.

What makes the BBC relevant here is that in broadcasting it is important for speech to be easily understood and clearly articulated, regardless of regional accent. So the generic features of BBC English are much more to do with enunciation, cadence, pace, etcetera, as well as choice of vocabulary.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2