Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Please correct my mistakes. Thanks!
A pencil

• During the race go to the space at 1960’s. NASA quickly discovered that a ballpoint didn’t work in zero gravity. NASA spent a lot of time on reseaching a pen that could work outside the earth, and they were successful. It worked not only zero gravity but also underwarter, glass... The pen was developed at a cost of one million dolar.
  • SoViet union faced the same proplem. They used a pencil.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please correct my mistakes. Thanks!

A pencil

• During the race go [STRIKE]to the[/STRIKE] into space [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] in the [STRIKE]1960’s[/STRIKE] 1960s, NASA quickly discovered that a ballpoint pen didn’t work in zero gravity. NASA spent a lot of time [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] researching a pen that could work outside the earth, and they were successful. It worked not only in zero gravity but also [STRIKE]underwarter[/STRIKE] underwater, on glass etc. The pen was developed at a cost of one million [STRIKE]dolar[/STRIKE] dollars.
  • The Soviet Union faced the same [STRIKE]proplem[/STRIKE] problem, but they used a pencil.

See above.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This is my rewrite.
A pencil

• During the race go into space in the 1960s, NASA quickly discorvered that a ballpoint pen didn’t workin zero gravity. NASA spent a lot of time researching a pen that could work outside the earth, and they were sucessful. It worked not only in zero gravity but also underwater, on glass etc. The pen was developed at a cost of one million dollars.
  • The Soviet Union faced the same problem, but they used a pencil.

• I refered the dictionary. The structure of the verb “ spend” is: Subject + spend + time + on + ving. Why didn’t I use “on” in this case?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The dot points don't really belong in such a paragraph. It's not a list.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This is my rewrite.
A pencil

During the race go into space in the 1960s, NASA quickly discorvered that a ballpoint pen didn’t workin zero gravity. NASA spent a lot of time researching a pen that could work outside the earth, and they were sucessful. It worked not only in zero gravity but also underwater, on glass etc. The pen was developed at a cost of one million dollars.
The Soviet Union faced the same problem, but they used a pencil.

I refered the dictionary. The structure of the verb “ spend” is: Subject + spend + time + on + ving. Why didn’t I use “on” in this case?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This is my rewrite.
A pencil

During the race to go into space in the 1960s, NASA quickly discorvered that a ballpoint pen didn’t workin zero gravity. NASA spent a lot of time researching a pen that could work outside the earth, and they were sucessful. It worked not only in zero gravity but also underwater, on glass etc. The pen was developed at a cost of one million dollars.

I refered the dictionary. The structure of the verb “ spend” is: Subject + spend + time + on + ving. Why didn’t I use “on” in this case?
I don't understand your point about "spend". Surely you'd have to tell us why you didn't use it.
This is the second time I've written this (My machine deleted the page). I made other points, which I'm not to think of again. Let me know if you need any more explanation.
Check the words in red. Do you have an English spell-checker? Besides, on this editor, a misspelled word is underlined in red usually.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't use "on" before the -ing form of the verb when using "spend time" (or "spend + something else). I would use it before a noun.

I spend a lot of time researching volcanoes.
I spend a lot of time on volcanology.

I spent £400 playing tennis last month.
I spent £400 on tennis last month.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I don't use "on" before the -ing form of the verb when using "spend time" (or "spend + something else). I would use it before a noun.

I spend a lot of time researching volcanoes.
I spend a lot of time on volcanology.

I spent £400 playing tennis last month.
I spent £400 on tennis last month.
I got it. Thanks!

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This is my rewrite.
A pencil

During the race (to) go into space in the 1960s, NASA quickly discovered that a ballpoint pen didn’t working zero gravity. NASA spent a lot of time researching a pen that could work outside the earth, and they were successful. It worked not only in zero gravity but also underwater, on glass etc. The pen was developed at a cost of one million dollars.

Mr. Raymott, could you explain to me why you add “to” into this sentence “During the race (to) go into space in the 1960s, NASA…”? Any way, I don't have an English spell-checker. Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Raymott was absolute right to add "to" before "go into space". I missed that when I wrote my corrected version. Sorry.

You can tell the spellchecker on your browser to check any language you like. While you're using this forum, it might be a good idea to set it to English. You can change it back to Vietnamese when you're not using the forum.

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Raymott was absolute right to add "to" before "go into space". I missed that when I wrote my corrected version. Sorry.

You can tell the spellchecker on your browser to check any language you like. While you're using this forum, it might be a good idea to set it to English. You can change it back to Vietnamese when you're not using the forum.
Hi Mr.Emsr2d2. Could you tell me how to I get spellchecker?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi [STRIKE]Mr.[/STRIKE] Emsr2d2. Could you tell me how [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] I get a spellchecker?

Please don't refer to users here as "Mr". It suggests you assume we are all male. We are not.

Which browser are you using?

chunchuntthn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi emsr2d2. I am using google chrome.

Status