Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
I always wanted to know how I sound to native speakers of the English language. So, if it's not much to ask, listen to a recording of me reading a short text and tell me what your thoughts are.

the link: https://goo.gl/CBG7VU

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There are a few parts which are very difficult to make out.

Slow down a little and make an effort to put more stress on the content words.

rn86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Thanks, jutfrank. I do have to work on my speaking skills since I have a problem with mumbling. I worded the question wrongly though. Leaving aside my mildly incomprehensible speech pattern I'd like to know what do you think about my accent. How can I improve it? I am aiming for RP (or something that sounds like RP).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would also recommend slowing down a bit. In the parts that are slower, things are OK, but you speed up and I get lost. If you work on your speed, you should find that it will improve things greatly. I can hear elements that are RP, then suddenly it goes out of focus, as it were.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Parts of it sounded like a native speaker, parts sounded (to me) Swedish or similar. I had the same problem as jutfrank with the incomprehensible bits in which you spoke far too fast, ran words together, and I couldn't have guessed at the accent at those points.

rn86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Thank you, Tdol and emsr2d2.

I've been told on multiple occasions to speak up, slow down and open my mouth while speaking (for both Serbian and English). Unfortunately, this is a persistent problem that stems from my childhood; growing up in an alcoholic home didn't do me any good. When communicating with other people I am more often than not anxious, so speaking properly makes me feel even more agitated. Being introverted and shy doesn't help either.

I remember clearly since I was just a kid I had this like-English-but-not-really-English accent. The weird thing is that I am not even a consumer of the English media. I've been watching only American TV shows. (Reading books and listening to music doesn't count, right?) The way Americans pronounce /r/ is a bit challenging for me. No matter how many times I try to pronounce it properly, I always fail. That's why I have my heart set on learning RP. In my opinion, it's just easier.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The history of your mumbling is an unfortunate one but hopefully you will be able to overcome it with the help of learning to speak a new language. You can use it as a great opportunity.
I sympathise with you about being anxious when speaking a foreign language with others - when I speak Spanish, I tend to speed up and swallow my words a little if I'm not absolutely certain that what I'm saying is correct.
However, when you're recording your voice at home, with no one else there, there's no reason to be shy or introverted. I suggest two things for now:
1) Try re-recording the same reading, but more slowly and concentrating on enunciating each word.
2) Try recording yourself using some natural, unrehearsed speech. Simply hit the record button and just say a few sentences.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Like emsr2d2 in the post above, I was going to suggest you try recording the same text again, this time a bit slower and clearer. If you do, post it here and we'll happily comment.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am more often than not anxious

You might be able to develop strategies to get round this if you find it difficult to overcome it. With your level of English, you have the skills to reformulate (repeat the content but using different words) if you find yourself going too quickly. Just say I mean, or I'm trying to say and say it again differently, which is something we all do when we get a bit lost in our speech.

Last edited by a moderator:

rn86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
As recommended, I recorded myself perusing (and speaking) once again. This time I paid attention to pace and speech clarity. By the way, thanks for the advice. Now I'll just have to apply myself to breaking the habit of mumbling.

https://goo.gl/RXCxB8

https://goo.gl/hCzDwn

The text I am reading:
"There are between 100 and 200 gangs in London alone, and their members are getting younger – down to ten years old in some cases. In an inner-city area dominated by gangs, it’s almost impossible to improve people’s quality of life, so addressing gang culture is a critical element in tackling social breakdown.
There is a need for more male role models in schools, as constructive fatherhood has disappeared in many of these communities. The original value set has collapsed and often, a gang provides a kind of structure, promoting a sense of belonging and a perverse sense of purpose."

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Interesting - your free speech was much clearer than the piece you were reading aloud. (Great choice of TV show, by the way!)

The text reading was clearer this time - you slowed down and enunciated better. I think the main issue was that you weren't always putting the stress on the right word in each sentence.
For example, you stressed "their" in "their members are getting younger". The stress should have been on "members" and then on "younger". You then stressed "ten" in "ten years old". A native speaker might put a little stress on it but would probably stress "old" a little more. If "years old" were removed, then the stress on "ten" would be more appropriate.

I'm not sure how to describe the next issue - it's the intonation before a comma. You almost have a "questioning intonation" on "dominated by gangs" and then on "quality of life". Both are before a comma and maybe that's what's putting you off. I read the sentence aloud just now and my tone went down on "gangs" and "life".

You did well with the difficult combination of "more male role models" but the stress was wrong. It should be on "role", not on "models".

You almost completely lost the first letter of "disappeared". Try to make more of a little break between "has" and "disappeared" to start with. Perhaps it's not an easy combination of consonants for you. You can speed up once you've got the hang of it.

The "a" sound in "collapsed" was incorrect. It sounded like "ar". It's a short "a", like in "bat".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you're interested, here's a native speaker reading your piece.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with everything said in post #11.

On a positive note, I think that generally your diphthongs sound very British—especially the 'oh' sounds as in alone and promoting.

rn86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Thank you, emsr2d2, jutfrank. I really appreciate your detailed analysis emsr2d2. And by going out of your way to record yourself reading the same text I did, it just shows how good of a person you are. It means a lot to me. You have my gratitude.

Honestly, now I feel inspired to properly train English accent and intonation, and because of that I've decided to buy English Pronunciation in Use (Beg, Int, Adv lv.), Intonation in Context by B. Bradford, and English Accent and Intonation by B. Hlebec.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're welcome but ... I said only that it was a native speaker on the recording. What made you think it was me?

rn86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Oh, somehow I misread it. Sorry. (I have to slow down, right. :)) Anyway, thank you for the audio file. It was very useful.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'll pass your thanks to my friend. :)

Status