there "is" no issue or there "are" no issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chibe_k

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi Teacher:

When using the word "no" to express something, shall I use singular or plural on the subject? For example,

1. There is no issue
2. There are no issues
3. There is no issues

Which one is correct grammatically? Thanks in advanced.

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Hi Teacher:
When using the word "no" to express something, shall I use singular or plural on the subject? For example,
1. There is no issue
2. There are no issues

Both are fine and the choice would be whether there was an issue or issues, in the speaker's mind.

3. There is no issues

This one is not likely to be used. <There's + plural noun> , as in, "There's no issues", is very common in speech for all levels of English speakers.

Which one is correct grammatically? Thanks in advanced.

ZZ

Coffa

This one is not likely to be used. <There's + plural noun> , as in, "There's no issues", is very common in speech for all levels of English speakers.

It's not likely to be used because it's ungrammatical and bad English.

Philly

Member Type
English Teacher
Much as it irritates my grammar sensibilities ;-) I also think that the grammar error in that particular type of sentence ("There's no issues/people/apples/etc." instead of "There're no issues/people/apples/etc.") often occurs in spoken English. Probably for the reason that there're is more difficult to pronounce than there's.

I wouldn't expect the same phenomenon with "There aren't any issues/people/apples/etc."

Last edited:

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
It's not likely to be used because it's ungrammatical and bad English.

Please explain how this is so, Coffa. At this point you're simply reciting a prescriptivist viewpoint.

Meshaal

Q: saying " there is alot of stuff in my room must be cleaned by 7pm " is my usage of "there is" incorrect ?

coz what i know is, we could use it when we imagine the following noun as one thing even if it's plural.

Last edited:

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Q: saying " there is a lot of stuff in my room that must be cleaned by 7pm " is my usage of "there is" incorrect ?
coz what i know is, we could use it when we imagine the following noun as one thing even if it's plural.

In English, Meshall, 'stuff' usually denotes a "mass of things" and when it has this meaning it is always used with 'is', evn when the collection is a number of countable items.

Status
Not open for further replies.