Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, I am reading legal cases but I came across this phrase.
"Brief for appellants 48"
I don't know what it actually means in the context and what purpose it serves in the paragraph.
Does it mean like "Brief for appellants 48 : (read the following explanation for more details~)"
or
appellant 48 means just a group of people assigned to that code name for legal process in the court?
Thank you

Appellants, however, have some difficulty fixing on a benchmark against which to measure any retrogression. Private appellants say the benchmark should be either the State's initial 1991 plan, containing two majority black districts, or the State's "policy and goal of creating two majority black districts." Brief for Appellants 48. The Justice Department, for its part, contends the proper benchmark is the 1992 precleared plan, altered to cure its constitutional defects.
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/521/74.html

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Brief for Appellants 48 is a citation of the source of the appellants' position as just stated by the author. It is very common these days for pleadings and other legal documents to have each paragraph numbered sequentially. So the source is paragraph 48 of the appellants' brief.

gookenhaim

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
probus, thank you so much for your kind answer! I really appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.