is or are "a few"

Status
Not open for further replies.

zigzag

Member Type
Student or Learner
Which one is correct, and why?
There are a few things we need to discuss.
There is a few things we need to discuss.
There is a lot more people arriving tomorrow
There are a lot more people arriving tomorrow.

I always thought "is" goes with "a lot", "a few", "a great deal of"...but looks like I am wrong, or am I?

Fazzu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Yes Zigzag,you are wrong where you said " 'is' goes with 'a lot' and 'a few'.The verb 'is' goes with singular forms like you have mentioned:'a great deal of'.I am sure you should have known now that 1) and 4) examples are correct.

Hope I am right.

Humble

Hi Zigzag,
Yes, you are wrong. Ignore the indefinite article; a lot and a few take plural, not singular.
There are a lot of nice flowers here.
There are a few mistakes in your essay.
But if there are no nouns after a lot, you should use singular:
There is a lot I don't know on this subject.
Best wishes. :)

Fazzu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Humble said:
But if there are no nouns after a lot, you should use singular:
There is a lot I don't know on this subject.
I didn't know that!:)

M

matilda

there are a lot of things we need to disscuss because your subject is A LOT OD THINGS

Fazzu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Because of the word "things" you got to use "are" here.

Humble

Fazzu,
Here, a lot is an entity. Another example:
A lot depends on the circumstances.

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Which one is correct, and why?
There are a few things we need to discuss.
There is a few things we need to discuss.
There is a lot more people arriving tomorrow
There are a lot more people arriving tomorrow.
I always thought "is" goes with "a lot", "a few", "a great deal of"...but looks like I am wrong, or am I?

In speech, among all manner of ENLs, the most common form of verb for 'there/here/where/how + plural noun' is 'is' in a contracted form.

+++++++++++++

LGSWE - "..., such examples are somewhat more common in conversation than the standard constructions with plural verb plus plural noun phrase."

++++++++++++++++++++

Where's my keys?

Here's your keys.

There's two men at the door for you.

There's a few things we need to discuss.

There's a lot more people arriving tomorrow.

How's your parents?

Humble

Hi Riverkid,
Most non-native learners need grammatically correct standard English, so that they could successfully pass tests and feel at ease among learned people. I am 99% sure Where is my keys is bad grammar.
Oh yes, I enjoy listening to real vernacular English with all its numberless deviations from standard grammar and pronunciation. It was amusing to hear (repeatedly), for instance,
- And I says...- from an Irish girl. But that doesn't mean I should say so.
No offence meant.
Regards

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Hi Riverkid,
Most non-native learners need grammatically correct standard English,
so that they could successfully pass tests and feel at ease among learned people. I am 99% sure Where is my keys is bad grammar.

Well, that just shows to go ya, Humble, that being sure of something is no guarantee that you're right.

Oh yes, I enjoy listening to real vernacular English with all its numberless deviations from standard grammar and pronunciation. It was amusing to hear (repeatedly), for instance,
- And I says...- from an Irish girl. But that doesn't mean I should say so.

The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language - page 10

"Where being ungrammatical is confused with merely being informal, there is a danger that the student of English will not be taught how to speak in a normal informal way, but will sound stilted and unnatural, like an inexpert reader reading something out of a book."

You see, Humble, that's been one of the major mistakes of traditional/prescriptive grammar. They made the assumption that all language had to be the same as that which we use for formal writing. That leaves them in the ludicrous position of trying to defend their "rules" when no one follows them.

Now you too seem to be operating under this same false assumption.

I've heard this argument about tests and such and it is a fallacious one. First, it presupposes that ESLs are not smart enough to recognize that there is informal and formal in language and that formal is required on many tests.

It should be noted that most reputable tests strive to avoid any questions that relate to these contentious issues.

Secondly, tests represent such a small portion of an ESLs English life.

Thirdly, why continue to allow these know-nothings to advance their highly specious 'rules'. They simply aren't about English.

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/1994_01_24_thenewrepublic.html

Grammar Puss

by Steven Pinker

The legislators of "correct English," in fact, are an informal network of copy-editors, dictionary usage panelists, style manual writers, English teachers, essayists, and pundits. Their authority, they claim, comes from their dedication to implementing standards that have served the language well in the past, especially in the prose of its finest writers, and that maximize its clarity, logic, consistency, elegance, precision, stability, and expressive range. William Safire, who writes the weekly column "On Language" for the [New York Times Magazine], calls himself a "language maven," from the Yiddish word meaning expert, and this gives us a convenient label for the entire group.

To whom I say: Maven, shmaven! [Kibbitzers] and [nudniks] is more like it. For here are the remarkable facts. Most of the prescriptive rules of the language mavens make no sense on any level. They are bits of folklore that originated for screwball reasons several hundred years ago and have perpetuated themselves ever since. For as long as they have existed, speakers have flouted them, spawning identical plaints about the imminent decline of the language century after century. All the best writers in English have been among the flagrant flouters. The rules conform neither to logic nor tradition, and if they were ever followed they would force writers into fuzzy, clumsy, wordy, ambiguous, incomprehensible prose, in which certain thoughts are not expressible at all. Indeed, most of the "ignorant errors" these rules are supposed to correct display an elegant logic and an acute sensitivity to the grammatical texture of the language, to which the mavens are oblivious.

No offence meant.

Absoutely none taken, Humble. We can argue and debate all day long and I'll still be willing to stand you a beer. :)
#

Fazzu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Sorry to bother between the debate.:)
riverkid said:
In speech, among all manner of ENLs, the most common form of verb for 'there/here/where/how + plural noun' is 'is' in a contracted form.
ENLs?..English Learners?
So can I say that contracted forms like,"There's a few things we need to discuss" is said in coversations and not in written works?

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Sorry to bother between the debate.:)
ENLs?..English Learners?

ENLs = English native lange [speakers], Fazzu.

So can I say that contracted forms like,"There's a few things we need to discuss" is said in coversations and not in written works?

That's correct. It's really common in speech and much less so in writing. Writing and speech operate under different rules.

Fazzu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Thanks Riverkid.:)

Humble

Hello, Riverkid,
At last I’ve been able to get down to our debate. First of all I must say I was happy to get several new words into my vocabulary : nudnik (wow, incredible!), maven, for screwball reasons, flout, shibboleths, rabble and a few more.
I read Pinker’s article and the impression it left is that he is a conceited demagogue, though he certainly makes some valid points. “Maven, shmaven” was a gem ! I suspect Pinker’s pitching into poor W. Safire has also a hidden political motive, they may belong to Democrats and Republicans respectively. OK, who am I to criticize a professor? Just a humble ESL.
Now, to your points.
1."Where being ungrammatical is confused with merely being informal, there is a danger that the student of English will not be taught how to speak in a normal informal way, but will sound stilted and unnatural, like an inexpert reader reading something out of a book."
If I say Where are my keys?, am I stilted and unnatural?
2.They made the assumption that all language had to be the same as that which we use for formal writing.
Who exactly? A false accusation.
3. That leaves them in the ludicrous position of trying to defend their "rules" when no one follows them.
What are those rules no one follows? An example?
4.I've heard this argument about tests and such and it is a fallacious one. First, it presupposes that ESLs are not smart enough to recognize that there is informal and formal in language and that formal is required on many tests.
Talking about beginners (and the one who is confused by the juxtaposed are and a I guess is one), do you think it’s reasonable to teach them informal English at once? Let the skeleton form first, then grow some flesh on it, then some fat (that is, all kind of niceties like register). The beginners are not yet smart enough.
5. It should be noted that most reputable tests strive to avoid any questions that relate to these contentious issues.
I agree – such as, for instance The media are-is.
There is a lot of things – There are a lot of things is not a contentious issue.
6. Secondly, tests represent such a small portion of an ESLs English life.
Wrong. They are hugely important for at least half of all ESLs.
7.Thirdly, why continue to allow these know-nothings to advance their highly specious 'rules'.
Who’s the authority pinning a lable on the educated elite?
8. Most of the prescriptive rules of the language mavens make no sense on any level.
A fallacy called hasty generalization.
9. All the best writers in English have been among the flagrant flouters.
The same fallacy.
10. The rules conform neither to logic nor tradition.
Hypothesis contrary to the fact. Absurd. Most of them are logical. I find a good deal of similarity between grammar and algebra.

Oh, I’m afraid I am not articulate enough for serious debates, I’ve had just a miserable amount of real language practice, next to none.
Have a good weekend. :)

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
I'm sorry that I didn't notice your response earlier, Humble.
Hello, Riverkid,
At last I’ve been able to get down to our debate. First of all I must say I was happy to get several new words into my vocabulary : nudnik (wow, incredible!), maven, for screwball reasons, flout, shibboleths, rabble and a few more.
I read Pinker’s article and the impression it left is that he is a conceited demagogue, though he certainly makes some valid points. “Maven, shmaven” was a gem ! I suspect Pinker’s pitching into poor W. Safire has also a hidden political motive, they may belong to Democrats and Republicans respectively. OK, who am I to criticize a professor? Just a humble ESL.
Professor Pinker is a world renowned expert on language acquisition, Humble. He takes a strip off of a number of mavens because they deserve it. For far too long these dimbulbs have been maligning both the language and the users of language. Now, when their lies are exposed, they fall strangely silent.
Now, to your points.
1."Where being ungrammatical is confused with merely being informal, there is a danger that the student of English will not be taught how to speak in a normal informal way, but will sound stilted and unnatural, like an inexpert reader reading something out of a book."
If I say Where are my keys?, am I stilted and unnatural?
No, of course not, Humble. Not in every language situation and not specifically in this one. There are many levels to speech.
2.They made the assumption that all language had to be the same as that which we use for formal writing.
Who exactly? A false accusation.
"they" are prescriptivists, those people who concocteded the false 'rules' and those that perpetuate them.
3. That leaves them in the ludicrous position of trying to defend their "rules" when no one follows them.
What are those rules no one follows? An example?
I thought you said you read the article by Mr Pinker. He went over a number of them. I've addressed more in postings I've made here.
4.I've heard this argument about tests and such and it is a fallacious one. First, it presupposes that ESLs are not smart enough to recognize that there is informal and formal in language and that formal is required on many tests.
Talking about beginners (and the one who is confused by the juxtaposed are and a I guess is one), do you think it’s reasonable to teach them informal English at once? Let the skeleton form first, then grow some flesh on it, then some fat (that is, all kind of niceties like register). The beginners are not yet smart enough.
Of course, beinners are not exposed to every aspect of English at the outset. But these issues are raised time and again here on these type of language sites. They have to be dealt with. To perpetuate a lie is perhaps worse than starting one.
. Secondly, tests represent such a small portion of an ESLs English life.

Wrong. They are hugely important for at least half of all ESLs.
And you're offering this as a plausible excuse for continuing the lies. Why would anyone want to do that?
.Thirdly, why continue to allow these know-nothings to advance their highly specious 'rules'.[/FONT][/SIZE]
Who’s the authority pinning a lable on the educated elite?
That's easy, Humble. Prescriptivists offer no proof for their sorry rules.
Most of the prescriptive rules of the language mavens make no sense on any level.

A fallacy called hasty generalization.
9. All the best writers in English have been among the flagrant flouters.
The same fallacy.
10. The rules conform neither to logic nor tradition.
Hypothesis contrary to the fact. Absurd. Most of them are logical. I find a good deal of similarity between grammar and algebra.
We're not talking about all the real rules of language, Humble. We're talking about the prescriptions that have never been actual rules. They were rules made up for highlly specious reasoning; simply because some people wanted the language to operate in certain ways.

Oh, I’m afraid I am not articulate enough for serious debates, I’ve had just a miserable amount of real language practice, next to none.
You've acquitted yourself admirably, Humble.

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I observe that Pinker penned his polemic using the very same proscribed prose prameters that his plaint pointed to.

-Mike

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
I observe that Pinker penned his polemic using the very same proscribed prose prameters that his plaint pointed to.
-Mike

Nice alliteration, Mike, but I don't follow what you're driving at. Some examples would be nice.

Humble

Thanks for your comments, Riverkid.
I can't oppose your vehement descriptivistness as equal, I am a supelightweight lilliputian (at best) while you are a Mohammad Ali in terms of the language. Besides it's unreasonable to take it so widely.
I dare remind you, the starting point was: one should use there are with plural; I'd rather we kept to the point and did not ramble in this and further threads.
I sure read abt Pinker. (Even saw his picture - he looks gorgeous). Being a renowned expert does not mean he's dead right in everything he says.
Regards

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Thanks for your comments, Riverkid.

I sure read abt Pinker. (Even saw his picture - he looks gorgeous). Being a renowned expert does not mean he's dead right in everything he says.
Regards

Thanks for your comments too, Humble.

It stands to reason that anybody, even scientists can be wrong but the vast difference between descriptivism and prescriptivism is that the latter is not science. It was and is a mishmash of Miss Manners and poor analysis.

Regards to you too, Humble. Have a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.