[Grammar] Correcting Grammar by Telling Stories (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adenfzn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hello, I'd like to continue to tell you guys my story of learning English and now I'd just say straight to the point.First of all, I understand what people say in English on YouTube or in Movies and stuff like that and I do can say what they say by reading the text or translation, but the problem is I can't say it and understand it well without the text or translation, especially when I want to write/say something in "my own words", because I don't even know what I write/say is correct and I would say that my problems are grammar and vocabulary.
So what I always do is copying or imitating their words by reading the text, so could you guys please tell me what I should do to improve my English or maybe you guys have some tips for me?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I'd just say straight to the point.
What do you mean by that?

First of all, I understand what people say in English on YouTube or in movies and stuff like that, and I [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] can say/repeat what they say by reading the text or translation, but the problem is I can't say it and understand it well without the text or translation, especially when I want to write/say something in my own words, because I don't even know if what I write/say is correct and I would say that my problems are grammar and vocabulary.

So what I always do is copy [STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] or imitate [STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] their words by reading the text, so could you guys please tell me what I should do to improve my English or maybe you guys have some tips for me?
If you're particularly concerned about grammar, then you can do exercises to test how well you know the rules. As for vocabulary, then reading texts on various topics and taking a note of new words, their meaning and usage should help you.

adenfzn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
What do you mean by that?
I mean at this time I'm just going to say straight to the problem, so I'm not going to write something I don't need, because I really want to know what I should do next and, get some tips to learn English from you.

If you're particularly concerned about grammar, then you can do exercises to test how well you know the rules. As for vocabulary, then reading texts on various topics and taking a note of new words, their meaning and usage should help you.
Do you have any references to test how well I know about grammar? Because I'm learning English without a teacher, a friend or someone who can speak English. So I don't know the level of my grammar. As for vocabulary, I have a note to write new words I've learned, but the problem is I can't make a sentence well and I don't know what I write is correct or false.
For example, I know the meaning of "I, beach, tomorrow", but I can't make the words to be a sentence like "I'm going to go to the beach tomorrow", especially a very long sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I mean that [STRIKE]at this time[/STRIKE] I'm just going to [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] get straight to the problem; [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] I'm not going to write something I don't need to, because I really want to know what I should do next and (no comma here) get some tips to learn English from you.

Do you have any references to test how well I know [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] grammar, because I'm learning English without a teacher, a friend or [STRIKE]someone[/STRIKE] anyone who can speak English? So I don't know the level of my grammar. As for vocabulary, I have a notebook in which to write new words I've learned, but the problem is I can't make a sentence well and I don't know whether what I write is correct or [STRIKE]false[/STRIKE] incorrect.

For example, I know the meaning of "I, beach, tomorrow", but I can't make the words [STRIKE]to be[/STRIKE] into a sentence like "I'm going to go to the beach tomorrow", especially a very long sentence.

Please note my changes above. In your last post, I made corrections too, one of which was not to put a comma after "and" but you did it again in this thread. (Note that there are instances in which you need to do it but they're not applicable to your posts.)

Is there some reason why you want to write long sentences? Generally, we recommend using short simple sentences while you're still a learner. The important thing is simply to get your message across. Did you not write the sentence "I'm going to go to the beach tomorrow" yourself? It contained no errors so you got that one right.

adenfzn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Please note my changes above. In your last post, I made corrections too, one of which was not to put a comma after "and" but you did it again in this thread. (Note that there are instances in which you need to do it but they're not applicable to your posts.)

Is there some reason why you want to write long sentences? Generally, we recommend using short simple sentences while you're still a learner. The important thing is simply to get your message across. Did you not write the sentence "I'm going to go to the beach tomorrow" yourself? It contained no errors so you got that one right.
Sorry I've made the same mistake of what I did before.
One of my reasons is I really want to interact with someone from other countries but if that's what you said I'll do it.
I did and I know that I'm going to go to the beach is a correct sentence because a lot of native English speakers use the sentence. But when I want to make my own sentence by using the words but I haven't heard anyone use other sentences besides the sentence, so I can't make it, because what I always do is just imitate them.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Sorry, I've made the same mistake [STRIKE]of what[/STRIKE] I did before.
What goes with "same"?

with [STRIKE]someone[/STRIKE] from other countries
Can you think of the right word there? Hint: more than one person.

but if that's what you said, I'll do it.
Note the comma that separates the dependent and the independent clauses in an if-structure.

I did and I know that "I'm going to go to the beach" is a correct sentence because a lot of native English speakers use the sentence.
Note the quotation marks.
Also, can you think of what we can use instead of "the sentence" at the end?

But when I want to make my own sentence by using [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] words [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] (which/that) I haven't heard anyone use before, [STRIKE]other sentences besides the sentence, so I can't make it,[/STRIKE] I struggle because what I always do is just imitate them.

adenfzn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
What goes with "same"?
Sorry, I don't understand what it means.

Can you think of the right word there? Hint: more than one person.
Yes, it should be people.

Note the quotation marks.
Also, can you think of what we can use instead of "the sentence" at the end?
Like what I wrote in my last post that I'm poor of vocabulary and I can't make a correct sentence by using words that I've already known, because what I've learned is just words, not to learn how to make sentences correctly.
And now I've known the right way to write/say what I wanted to write above and I'll use your words when I want to write/say it (at a later time/in the future).

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Have you ever studied grammar? It seems as if that's what you need.

adenfzn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Have you ever studied grammar? It seems as if that's what you need.
Yes, I have and I'm still learning it.
Alright, I'll learn grammar more than what I've learned before.
And what I'm doing here is just because I want to express my English and how far I am in English.
Because if I did something like what I'm doing here on social media like Facebook, Instagram and stuff like that, people would bully me and laugh at me, that's how people usually do on social media.
So what I need is a place to express and improve my English at the same time.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Sorry, I don't understand what it means.
Say: "I've made the same mistake as I did before". [the same as]

Yes, it should be people.
That's right.
The answer to my remaining question from the last post is "it". You could have used "it" instead of "the sentence".

[STRIKE]Like what[/STRIKE] As I wrote in my last post, [STRIKE]that I'm poor of[/STRIKE] my vocabulary is poor, and I can't make a correct sentence by using words that [STRIKE]I've[/STRIKE] already know, because what I've learned is just words, not [STRIKE]to learn[/STRIKE] how to make sentences correctly.
And now I've known the right way to write/say what I wanted to write above and I'll use your words when I want to write/say it (at a later time/in the future).

Alright, I'll learn grammar more. [STRIKE]than what I've learned before.[/STRIKE]

And what I'm doing here is [STRIKE]just because I want to[/STRIKE] testing how well I can express myself in English and how far I have [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] progressed in English/it.

Because if I did something like what I'm doing here on social media like Facebook, Instagram and stuff like that, people would bully me and laugh at me. That's [ Note the comma splice error] [STRIKE]how[/STRIKE] what people usually do on social media.
I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. Many (if not most) people on social media make grammar/vocab errors.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The standard of English on social media is generally deplorable. Many people who are able to write good English just don't care what they write on such sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.