[Grammar] Correcting Grammar by Telling Stories (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adenfzn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hello, today I'd like to tell you my story about learning Languages.
When I was a kid I had no interested in learning a new language because I was too busy to become a table tennis player professional and I felt that it will be useless because at that time I could speak two languages (Indonesian and Sundanese) and I could communicate well with people in my country.
But after two years later, I got my first sponsor and I had to go to Germany to increase my table tennis skills. After arrived in Germany, I was like a person from another planet because I couldn't communicate with people there and I felt like I'm too stupid to say that learning a new language will be useless. So only one thing I could communicate with them is through translators.
Then I started to learn German, so I can make a conversation with them and after months I started to understand some of what they say and I was so happy to talk, listen and understand it. After years and grew up, I was thinking like If could speak more than one language, I would get more information, knowledge and ideas from people in the world, not only from people in my country or anyone who can speak Indonesian. After that, I became interested in learning languages and making it one of my hobbies.
I know learning Languages sound weird to be a hobby but to me, that's an advantage because I can do one of my hobbies simultaneously with other hobbies like listening to music, watching movies, etc.
That's all for today and I'll write another post soon. Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. Today I'd like to tell you my story about learning languages

When I was a kid, I had no [STRIKE]interested[/STRIKE] interest in learning a new language because I was too busy training to become a professional table tennis player [STRIKE]professional[/STRIKE] and I felt that it learning a language [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would be useless because at that time I could already speak two languages (Indonesian and Sundanese) and I could communicate well with people in my country

But, [STRIKE]after[/STRIKE] two years later, I got my first sponsor and I had to go to Germany to [STRIKE]increase[/STRIKE] improve my table tennis skills. After [STRIKE]arrived[/STRIKE] arriving/I arrived in Germany, I was like a person from another planet because I couldn't communicate with people there and I felt like [STRIKE]I'm[/STRIKE] I was too stupid to say that learning a new language will be useless. I don't understand the underlined part. Can you explain it differently?

So [STRIKE]only one thing[/STRIKE] I could communicate with them [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] only through translators.

Then I started to learn German (no comma here) so I [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] could make [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] (no article here) conversation with them and, after a few months, I started to understand some of what they [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] said and I was [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] very happy to talk, listen and understand. [STRIKE]it.[/STRIKE]

After years and grew up, (I don't know what the underlined part means) I [STRIKE]was thinking like[/STRIKE] thought that if could speak more than one language, I would get more information, knowledge and ideas from people, [STRIKE]in the world,[/STRIKE] not only from people in my country or [STRIKE]anyone[/STRIKE] people who can speak Indonesian. After that, I became interested in learning languages and making it one of my hobbies.

I know [that] learning languages sounds weird [STRIKE]to be[/STRIKE] as a hobby but, to me, that's an advantage because I can do [STRIKE]one of my hobbies simultaneously with[/STRIKE] it at the same time as my other hobbies, like listening to music, watching movies, etc.

That's all for today and I'll write another post soon. Thank you.

See above.

adenfzn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I was too stupid to say that learning a new language will be useless.I don't understand the underlined part. Can you explain it differently?
While I was a kid I said "I felt that it learning a new language would be useless" and two years later I remembered what I said "learning a new language would be useless". But in fact, it was very helpful and useful while I was living in Germany. So I was wrong about that and feeling too stupid to say it.

After years and grew up
(I don't know what the underlined part means)
After a couple of years grew up in Germany.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I realised that I had been stupid to think that learning a foreign language would be useless."
"After living in Germany for a couple of years, ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.