Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello.. how to analyze tenor mode domain sentence by sentence? I missed a couple of lectures and the Prof. is not going to teach again.. passage below is just an example

The night hadn't yet fallen. Sughra had moved her father's bed out of the room onto the veranda. She was sprinkling water on the floor to make it cool. Mian sahil was lying there quietly looking with vacant eyes at the sky where she had seen the moon. Sughra came and sat next to him. He motioned her to get closer. Then he raised his right arm slowly and put it on her head. Tears began to run from Sughra's eyes. Even Mian sahil looked moved. Then with great difficulty he said to her, 'God is merciful. All will be well.'

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Sughra's heart began to beat violently. She looked at Basharat, whose face had turned white like a sheet of paper. There was another knock. Mian sahib gestured to Sughra to answer it. lt must be old Akbar who had come back, she thought. She said to Basharat, 'Answer the door. I'm sure it's Akbar.' Her father shook his head, as if to signal disagreement.

'Then who can it be?' Sughra asked him.

Mian Abdul Hai tried to speak, but before he could do so, Basharat came running in. He was breathless. Taking Sughra aside, he whispered, 'It's a Sikh.'

Sughra screamed, 'A Sikh! What does he want?'

'He wants me to open the door.'

Sughra took Basharat in her arms and went and sat on her father's bed, looking at him desolately.

On Mian Abdul Hai's thin, lifeless lips, a faint smile appeared. 'Go and open the door. It is Gurmukh Singh.'

Thank you..

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Are you sure your native language is American English? Most AmE speakers know that we don't start a question with "How to ...". When do you have to submit your homework/assignment to the professor for marking or grading?

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, I want the rest of the story. I want to know why the thought of a Sikh at their door was so inherently frightening.

Do Sughra and scary ol' Gurmukh Singh become lovers in a forbidden bi-religious love affair?

Or is Gurmukh is her real father, and then things just get complicated as her real father enters her life while the man she always considered her father slips away?

Who is Basharat's father? Could is be the scary Sikh at the door?

What does Gurmukh Singh really want, besides just an open door?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How to analyze tenor mode domain sentence by sentence?

By applying the definitions yourself. They're not particularly complex ideas and you can ask a classmate to give you their lecture notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.