English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear colleagues,

I'm almost new in ESL teaching and I have a doubtful dilemma on what to start with - private tutoring or school teaching?

I live in Russia, Moscow and I want to teach English. I've had some experience (1.5 years) but it's been quite a while since. I'm C1, preparing to TKT, and I don't feel confident about my present teaching skills. Right now I'm deciding how to start afresh my teaching career.

The point of the dilemma is that I'm busy nearly all working days' evenings, and it seems I have small chances to get a full-time job in an ESL center because they normally offer evening activity. That's why I lean towards private tutoring. But I doubt whether it is a good start, because I see tutoring as 'not-completely' teaching. I mean I want to gain experience in interesting group working, exam preparing, etc. but how would I gain it on 1-to-1 basis? Besides, all the ESL study kits are focused on classroom activity - well, does it mean I must fully tailor every lesson for individual work? After all, isn't a school teacher much more motivated to develop himself than a tutor?

Are my guesses grounded or groundless? I may be (and I hope I am) totally wrong, but those issues really prevent me from starting private tutoring. Can tutoring be effective, interesting, awesome compared with normal classwork? Is it a normal way to start with?

I beg your pardon for such ignorant questions and thank you for your comments,

Igor

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I assume that you're talking about private one-to-one tuition.

Obviously, this will not help you develop the way you teach groups but it could be a great way to help you develop your exam preparation teaching skills. Working with a single learner can allow you to really focus on the learner's specific needs as they arise, and I think this could be a great way for you to pick up knowledge and skills in a more piecemeal, manageable, and in-depth way.

There is plenty of demand out there for this kind of work, especially if you are open to giving online sessions. I would estimate that over my entire career so far, around half of all the private one-to-one tuition I have given has been for exams, and this has been some of the most satisfying work I have ever done.

TheAsker

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you for your reply!
around half of all the private one-to-one tuition I have given has been for exams,
As I see it now, one-to-one tuition can be more effective in exam preparing.
But is it false, that exam preparation involves developing some skills that can be mastered more effectively in group? I mean gaining confidence, interacting with others and things like that? (sorry, I'm just guessing)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
On the whole, not really, no. Exams do not require very much group interaction. Of course this will depend on the exam but in general not much.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I see tutoring as 'not-completely' teaching.

If you tutor special areas, like professional English, it can be precisely what you think it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.