Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
There are a few sentences I've made with English idioms, but not sure if they are correct to use as in the sentences:
1. It really makes my blood boil.
2. He's a night owl who loves staying up late.
3. I was like a bat out of hell this morning to be on time.
4. You don't have a cat in hell's chance of winning her heart.
5. The old hairstyle of mine was a skeleton in the closet.
Can anyone give me some advice please? Thank you.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

None of them is correct because they don't end with a punctuation mark. Please use the "Edit Post" function to add one appropriate punctuation mark to the end of each one, then we will comment.
Don't forget to put a full stop after "Thank you" as well!

suelam11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

None of them is correct because they don't end with a punctuation mark. Please use the "Edit Post" function to add one appropriate punctuation mark to the end of each one, then we will comment.
Don't forget to put a full stop after "Thank you" as well!

Thank you. I've edited the post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]There[/STRIKE] Here are a few sentences I've made with English idioms, but I'm not sure if they are correct. [STRIKE]to use as in the sentences:[/STRIKE]

1. It really makes my blood boil. :tick:
2. He's a night owl who loves staying up late. :tick: (although I'm not sure it's necessary to use the second part because that's what being a night owl means.)
3. I was like a bat out of hell this morning to be on time. :cross: This doesn't really work. We usually use an action-related verb before the phrase, such as "I drove like a bat out of hell this morning to get to work on time".
4. You don't have a cat in hell's chance of winning her heart. :tick:
5. The old hairstyle of mine was a skeleton in the closet. :cross: A skeleton in the closet is something much more serious (and potentially criminal) than a slightly embarrassing hairstyle.

Can anyone give me some advice please? Thank you.

See above.

Edit: When I started typing my reply at 14:02, there was inexplicably no sign of Piscean's response from 13:47. It only appeared after I hit submit. So I apologise for having spoilt Piscean's comments on 1 and 5. However, as you can see, we appear to agree on all counts.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I see you have also posted these sentences on the Word Reference forum.

Please ask your questions on one forum at a time. Once one forum has dealt with it, then post it to another forum. If you don't, you will simply drive the most engaged responders from your posts, which will have the opposite effect to that intended.
(Tdol)

suelam11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I see you have also posted these sentences on the Word Reference forum.

Please ask your questions on one forum at a time. Once one forum has dealt with it, then post it to another forum. If you don't, you will simply drive the most engaged responders from your posts, which will have the opposite effect to that intended.
(Tdol)

Thank you. Shall pay attention to this and avoid doing so in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.