• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Question Linguistics problem--tree diagram

Hello, I just start learning linguistics. And I have some questions about tree diagram. For example, the word "irregularity", I don't know whether I should put " ir-" or "-ity" first.
    To explain more, I'm not sure that I should put " ir-" and "regular" first, then plus "-ity" or I should put " regular" and "-ity" together then plus " ir-".

2. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Linguistics problem--tree diagram

Please don't double-post: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/t...t-tree-diagram.

I suspect that the reason you did not receive a response to your original question is that some members were not clear what you meant by 'first'.
    If the base line of your diagram runs from left to right, then you will probably have 'ir' to the left, and 'ity' to the right of 'regular'. You will need to decide whether you diagram 'ir' as an affix to the noun-affix 'regularity', or 'ity' as an affix to the affix-adjective 'irregular'.

I am far from an expert on tree diagrams, so you may get better answers later.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Re: Linguistics problem--tree diagram

Thanks a lot! Sorry that I post my question again! I want to delete it but I don't know where I can delete my post