Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Not a teacher

In my opinion, you can record your voice and listen to it, try to find out the words you cannot pronounce well.
Or you can watch some English youtube videos.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Try to identify what your problem areas are and work on them.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Try recording a bit of your speech on something like https://vocaroo.com/ so we can hear it. Then we can be more specific.

PaulineJou

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

What really helps me is watching movies on TV series in English. You do it just for fun, not study. But somehow you remember even grammar constructions. When I watch british movie I even get some accent. This lifehach orks greatly for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher.

What really helps me is watching movies [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] or TV series in English. You do it just for fun, not study. But somehow you remember even grammar constructions. When I watch British movies, I even [STRIKE]get some[/STRIKE] pick up/learn/understand the accent. This lifehack works [STRIKE]greatly[/STRIKE] great/well for me.

Note my corrections above.

Your profile shows that you are a native American English speaker. Why do you need to watch movies and TV shows in English in order to help you with your own language?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you for introducing me to the word 'lifehack'. I'd never heard it before.

imej

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
In my own experience, Reading aloud helps, especially when I read along with a native speaker.

Not a teacher

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my own experience, reading aloud helps, especially when I read along with a native speaker.

Not a teacher

See my correction above. Don't use a capital letter after a comma unless the first word after the comma is a proper noun or the word "I".

imej

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Not a teacher

I believe reading aloud and along with a native speaker helps. Everyday practice is the key. A website (https://listen.express) makes it easier for me. It works best on cellphone. I can download records to my phone and practice with them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher

I believe reading aloud [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] along with a native speaker helps. Everyday practice is the key. A website (https://listen.express) makes it easier for me. It works best on a cellphone. I can download recordings to my phone and practise with them.

Note my corrections above. "Practice" is a noun. "Practise" is a verb.

We don't often allow hyperlinks, especially in a user's first post, but I have had a look at that site and it seems to be above board and quite useful (and, more importantly, free). However, I have to say that the speaker does not speak naturally. Each word is very clearly pronounced but it leads to a very stilted sound. It's useful for hearing the pronunciation of each individual word but learners need to understand that real people just don't speak that way.

Also note that I have added "Not a teacher" to the start of your post. You are welcome to respond to other users' questions but you must make it clear in those responses that you are not a teacher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.