Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello,

Can I use the idiom "take the bit between one's teeth" in the following context?

Actually, everything was fine until yesterday. We were on intimate terms. Whatever decision we were to make, we always reached a heartfelt consensus. Whatever happened happened last night. He was no longer as intimate as he used to be. He began making any decisions on his own. He didn't even listen to me once. Apparently he took the bit between his teeth (=became disobedient).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. "to take the bit between one's teeth" means to face up to a difficult task and just get on with it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If he did take the bit between the teeth in those circumstances, he probably broke the relationship off.

gamechanger

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Turkish, my native language, has exactly the same idiom, but we use it in a different sense from you're saying. The Turkish version is more to do with becoming disobedient or making independent decisions.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I could just about make a case for it meaning to make an independent decision but definitely not for being disobedient.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The bit is designed to control a horse, so it is not about disobedience to us.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Turkish, my native language, has exactly the same idiom, but we use it in a different sense from you're saying. The Turkish version is more to do with becoming disobedient or making independent decisions.
I wonder if the Turkish expression might not mean Take the bit out of one's mouth. In the English expression, "take" means accept, not ​remove.

gamechanger

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The bit is designed to control a horse, so it is not about disobedience to us.

Yes, but when a horse takes the bit between his teeth, he gets out of control and runs so fast that his rider cannot stop him.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The English version does have more to do with taking control of a situation. We extend that to mean starting or getting on with a task, because we're taking control of the situation and starting, instead of doing nothing, and we're doing so in a decisive or controlling manner.

Normally the bit rides behind a horse's molars, in the corners of a mouth. When a horse tries to fight that by tightening their gums or lips (they rarely actually put the bit in their teeth), they're trying to wrest control from the rider.

Still, I don't think it's quite the right idiom for the example sentence.

gamechanger

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I wonder if the Turkish expression might not mean Take the bit out of one's mouth. In the English expression, "take" means accept, not ​remove.
Your post escaped my notice. No. That's not the case. I thought take meant place here.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but when a horse takes the bit between his teeth, he gets out of control and runs so fast that his rider cannot stop him.
Isn't the bit, in its normal position between the horse's teeth, the primary tool the rider uses to control the horse?

gamechanger

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Isn't the bit, in its normal position between the horse's teeth, the primary tool the rider uses to control the horse?

As far as I know, the bit is inserted behind the horse's molars. When the rider pulls the bit, the horse feels pain, which makes him remain under the rider's control. However, some smart horses can somehow remove the bit from the back of their molars and place it between their molars. And then they bite with force, lest the bit slide back to its original position. When this happens, the horse refuses to obey the commands of his rider as no longer does he feel pain.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Idioms often take on their own life- many idioms that are related to sailing, for instance, originally meant something very different - sail close to the wind is one example. So, no matter how illogical you find it, you simply have to accept that the idiom is used this way.

Coloradoguy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In American English we rarely use this phrase. When used it would be specifically related to approaching a difficult task. Like from the horse's point of view, biting down to focus on the task.

Not a teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Coloradoguy.

Please read this extract from our Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

That is literally true, but the expression is an idiom. That means it cannot be interpreted according to the usual meaning of its words.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
kamui23, your post is ungrammatical, you have stated you are not a teacher of English, and your profile is incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.