Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. Fazzu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 397
    #1

    No sooner....

    Poor English:" 'No sooner' did we reach the station 'when' the train left".
    Standard English: " 'No sooner' did we reach the station 'than' the train left".

    I don't get why they have replaced 'when' with 'than'.Explain please.


    • Join Date: May 2006
    • Posts: 1,335
    #2

    Re: No sooner....

    Hi, Fazzu,
    Because it's a set phrase : No sooner... than. Besides, we've got a comparison. Similarily,
    The train left ( or had left?) sooner, than we arrived.
    Rgs

  2. Fazzu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Jun 2006
    • Posts: 397
    #3

    Re: No sooner....

    Because it's a set phrase : No sooner... than.
    So, 'no sooner' always comes with 'than'?


    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 671
    #4

    Re: No sooner....

    Quote Originally Posted by Fazzu View Post
    So, 'no sooner' always comes with 'than'?
    Yes.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • (Afan) Oromo
      • Home Country:
      • Aaland
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 475
    #5

    Re: No sooner....

    Can I say "No sooner did we reached the station than when the train left"?


    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 671
    #6

    Re: No sooner....

    Quote Originally Posted by dihen View Post
    Can I say "No sooner did we reached the station than when the train left"?
    No .

    It's 'did we reach...', and you can't use the construction 'no sooner...than...' in that way. The correct sentence would be: "We did reach the station no earlier than when the train left."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • (Afan) Oromo
      • Home Country:
      • Aaland
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 475
    #7

    Re: No sooner....

    Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    No.
    `
    It's 'did we reach...', and you can't use the construction 'no sooner...than...' in that way. The correct sentence would be: "We did reach the station no earlier than when the train left."
    Can I say these?
    `
    We reached the station no sooner than the train left.
    We reached the station no sooner than when the train left.
    No sooner than the train left did we reach the station.
    No sooner than when the train left did we reach the station.


    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 671
    #8

    Re: No sooner....

    Quote Originally Posted by dihen View Post
    Can I say these?
    `
    We reached the station no sooner than the train left.
    We reached the station no sooner than when the train left.
    No sooner than the train left did we reach the station.
    No sooner than when the train left did we reach the station.
    I wouldn't say any of them, no.

    What you are trying to say is: "No sooner had we reached the station than the train left."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • (Afan) Oromo
      • Home Country:
      • Aaland
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 475
    #9

    Re: No sooner....

    Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    I wouldn't say any of them, no.
    `
    What you are trying to say is: "No sooner had we reached the station than the train left."
    These?
    `
    We had reached the station no sooner than the train left.
    We had reached the station no sooner than when the train left.
    No sooner than the train left had we reached the station.
    No sooner than when the train left had we reached the station.

  3. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #10

    Re: No sooner....

    Quote Originally Posted by Fazzu View Post
    Poor English:" 'No sooner' did we reach the station 'when' the train left".

    I don't get why they have replaced 'when' with 'than'. Explain please.
    Let's look at the other side. Here's the error - or rather, why they have replaced 'than' with 'when'.

    no sooner ... than is a literary construction. It's what we read or write. Its spoken variant would be something like, I had (only) just reached the station when the train left. There's your where.

    No sooner had I reached the station than the train left.
    No sooner had I reached the station when the train left.
    I had (only) just reached the station when the train left.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. would sooner. wish
    By magdalena in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29-May-2009, 04:51
  2. Iíd sooner we didnít
    By Humble in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Jun-2006, 06:25
  3. No sooner ...
    By Dany in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-Jan-2005, 14:38
  4. NEED YOUR INPUT Why didn't you come earlier/ sooner?
    By dcomest in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2005, 09:05
  5. "No sooner..." - the exact meaning and usage
    By Tomasz Klimkiewicz in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2004, 19:31

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •