Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Does the reader of the audiobook speak BrE or AmE? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEWNKA2yYGA) First it seemed to me it's the AmE pronunciation, then it seemed that it might be British... If there weren't those rs at the ends of the words before consonants, I think I'd be sure that it's British... It's American, right? Or maybe some other variety (Canadian, Australian, NZ)? About the latter varieties I know absolutely nothing, so I don't know which one to suspect. :)

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The bit I listened to sounded indisputably North American. I didn't hear any words that would reveal a Canadian accent, which has only a few distinctive characteristics, so I'd guess American.

[EDIT] It's narrated by Phil Chenevert, who grew up in New Orleans. He doesn't betray his background in the part I listened to. People in New Orleans have quite a variety of accents, but he doesn't use a distinctive New Orleans accent.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It sounds immediately and indisputably American to my British ears. The rhotic /r/ sound is a dead giveaway.

I would never have placed the speaker as from New Orleans, though, the accents of which I think I'm starting to be able to recognise (thanks to GoesStation's help in previous posts:)).

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Now that you said it's the AmE accent, it seems surprising that I thought it was British. :)

It's a pity I can't find books I'd like to listen narrated by BrE speakers. That's why, I think, I'm more used to North American accent than British. Even within Librivox, the participants of which are claimed to be from around the world, every book I'm beginning to listen seems to be narrated by AmE speakers. Sadly for my plans to get rid of the Eccentric English pronunciation I was talking about in another thread. (GS was 'on holiday', taking some rest from the forum, when I started that discussion, so he might not see that thread and doesn't know what 'Eccentric English' is and why anyone should want to get rid of it. :))

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
The introduction sounded Irish to me - especially his 'r's.
:?:

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It doesn't sound BrE to me. It doesn't actually sound like a true native speaker to me- there's something slightly odd about his pronunciation.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It doesn't sound BrE to me. It doesn't actually sound like a true native speaker to me- there's something slightly odd about his pronunciation.

Perhaps the narrator is straining to flatten out his native accent.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.