Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
If you have spotted an attractive Irish girl on a dating app, do these sentences make sense to break the ice?

Are you a magnet? I'm just asking because I find you very appealing.
What are your favorite flowers? And what address should I send them to?
Can I invite you for a drink that fits to your awesome dress colorwise?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are you a magnet? I'm just asking because I find you very appealing.

Are you deliberately trying to fluff this line? The word is attractive, not appealing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why does the girl in question have to be Irish?

Do228

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
How about these ones?

Shall we go to a restaurant first or do you want me to feed you with love straightaway?

Your dress looks so great. It would certainly be a perfect match for the carpet in my bedroom.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about these ones?

Shall we go to a restaurant first or do you want me to feed you with love straightaway?

Your dress looks so great. It would certainly be a perfect match for the carpet in my bedroom.
Definitely use those. What Irish girl could resist them?

[Do228, I'm being sarcastic. I'm curious: do you really want to use these lines to attract someone, or are you using them to troll the forum?]

Do228

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
Yes I want to be creative because, in my experience, if you use boring "standard phrases" such as "Hi how are you? Want to chat?", you will get ignored and get no replies at all from the girls. So I think it's a must nowadays to think outside the box a bit.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes I want to be creative because, in my experience, if you use boring "standard phrases" such as "Hi how are you? Want to chat?", you will get ignored and get no replies at all from the girls. So I think it's a must nowadays to think outside the box a bit.
Then by all means, try your sentences. Let us know how they work out.*

*(Actually, the second one might be perceived as threatening. You should reconsider it.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
*(Actually, the second one might be perceived as threatening. You should reconsider it.)

Yeah, right. I was half expecting ... a perfect match for the carpet in the trunk of my car.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Out of curiosity, would those lines entice you to go on a date with someone if you received them?

Do228

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
I don't know because I'm a man, not an Irish girl. So I have no idea what's going on in their brains. However my thinking was that if I were one and probably received tons of messages every day, then I'd more likely date somebody who might be more humorous than the others who only write plain vanilla. Maybe it's somebody you can have a lot of craic time with and take the piss out of each other.
But again, I have no clue about Irish girls, so I'll just give it a try and see what happens.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't matter that you're a man, not an Irish girl. You are suggesting that your lines would entice someone to go on a date with you. Turn the situation around. If you received those messages from that Irish girl, for example, would it encourage you to go on a date with her? The whole point of dating apps is that either party can make the first contact so surely you must expect to receive messages from other users who have seen your profile and want to find out more.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Google "cheesy pickup lines", and browse through the bazillions of entries to your heart's content. Note that 99.999999999999999% of these are celebrating the deliberate corniness, cheesiness, and absolute ridiculousness of such lines. They are collections of jokes, not for serious use.

Unless your hunch that Irish women are somehow substantially different from the other women on the planet pans out, you should expect them to laugh in your face at best, and or slap you in the face. If you're lucky, perhaps an blank stare.

To be fair, I've never meet any Irish women, so maybe I'm missing out on something.

. If you received those messages from that Irish girl, for example, would it encourage you to go on a date with her?

Well, actually a lot of guys probably would....

It's like the old joke:

How to impress a woman: Compliment her, respect her, honor her, cuddle her, shower her with token of affection, admire her.
How to impress a guy: Show up naked with food and beer.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's important to remember that people are all different. If you're using a dating app, you're probably able to see not just a photo but some kind of profile. In my opinion, you should tailor your contact to the actual person you're messaging, not just treat them like "another potential date". Let's say you see that someone really likes comedy films, and so do you, you might send them a message such as "Hi! I saw your profile and wondered if you'd like to get together sometime to chat about our favourite comedies". It doesn't matter how attractive you find the person, if you've got nothing in common, you'll both be wasting your time going on a date.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
somebody who might be more humorous than the others who only write plain vanilla.

But they are rather tired jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.