English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Re: Pronunciation- younger versus older students

I imagine you know this already: simply put, the younger a student is when acquiring a new language, the more accurate her/his pronunciation will be in the target language (ESL=English).

"Studies examining students' pronunciation after more than five years of exposure to the second language consistently find that the large majority of adults retain their accent when the second language is acquired after puberty, whereas children initiating second language acquisition before puberty have little or no foreign accent."

More on the subject here:
The Effect of Age on Acquisition of a Second Language for School

According to researchers, this has to do with brain "plasticity." This doesn't mean our brains slowly turn to a hard, dull plastic up to the point of senile dementia; on the contrary, it suggests that the human brain has the ability to change and develop (adapt) over time in relation to new information. The focus is on "neuronal circuits that respond to diverse stimuli and process information." In most cases, young learners have more plasticity:

"...in early second language acquisition (L2) beginning at between approximately age five or six, children often achieve native-like pronunciation and syntax within a relatively short period of a year or two. The ability of young children to achieve native-like proficiency in a foreign language in a rather short time is a reflection of a type of neural plasticity, and it appears to be related to the distinct characteristics of the young brain."

More here:
Neural Plasticity and the Issue of Mimicry Tasks in L2 Pronunciation Studies

If your student is a Korean native who acquired Russian as a child, she will most likely acquire English pronunciation in the same way a Russian adult would. On the other hand, if she hadn't been able to assimilate the Russian accent, perhaps then she will be coming to the lesson with pronunciation characteristic of a native Korean speaker.

Good Luck!

Thanks very much! I have already had two lessons with my Korean Student. She told me that she didn't speak her native tongue as she was born in Uzbekistan. Frankly speaking I don't see any difference between her and my other Russian students. You know Russians also have difficulties with their pronunciation. They don't have the sound [h] and they very often pronounce [kh].

RedOne

Member Type
English Teacher
I will be an english teacher soon. I´m still a student and I´m really excited to start teaching. I really think that knowing another language, besides yours, would open so many doors in life. As for me, english is my second language and I love it! I just hope to be able and focused to do the best I can to show my students how important to know english is. Can you Harry give me some tips that could guide me and help me to do my best in teaching? Thank you so much! Luci (from Uruguay)

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
I will be an english teacher soon. I´m still a student and I´m really excited to start teaching. I really think that knowing another language, besides yours, would open so many doors in life. As for me, english is my second language and I love it! I just hope to be able and focused to do the best I can to show my students how important to know english is. Can you Harry give me some tips that could guide me and help me to do my best in teaching? Thank you so much! Luci (from Uruguay)

Dear Luci!
I'm very happy to read your ideas about teaching English and your love towards this wonderful language. First of all I want you to be always full of energy and think that your profeesion is one of the most important professions nowadays. Secondly you'll have a lot of difficulties in teaching English. Never hesitate and go on teaching. One day you'll feel how easy and interesting it is. When you hear your pupils speak English you will be the happiest in the world. I wish you good luck and a very easy start in teaching.
Best wishes Harry

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
I was very surprised when I entered my classroom yesterday. In one corner there was a new TV set and a video player. Later in the afternoon I thanked the headmaster for her attention. She said, "It's very important to know English nowadays. Let your pupils watch English films at the lessons too." Now I know how to make my lessons more interesting. Any other ideas?:-D

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
The number of the readers of this thread shows how important English is nowadays.;-)

Falcon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
The number of the readers of this thread shows how important English is nowadays.;-)

I quite agree.

I'm Brazilian and I love this language. I've studied English in London for eight months - Dec 2004/Aug 2005 - (I began as basic and stopped at intermediate level) but since this time I didn't stop to study on my own. I'm always buying books, DVD's and so on and searching for ways to get my English improved. My principal difficulty is about when I must use in, on, at, about, to, for, with, -ing forms and other words or when not use them. The big problem also, is that here, in Brazil, everybody speaks Portuguese and I don't have anyone to practise English, so despite understand about 90% or more when I'm watching TV (CNN, BBC and FOX) and also understand about the same percentage when I'm reading something I have this problem when I need to write down or to speak in English.

I use this forum as a English School because I'm always learning something new around here. However, sometimes I feel ashamed in asking questions that could be too basic for you, but for a guy like me who only spoke Portuguese for 31 years, it isn't easy change the brain just in a few years.

I'd like to take advantage of this thread and ask for some help to chose a good grammar's book. I bought two books: Active English Grammar (Collins Cobuild) and Oxford Practice Grammar. The first one is compact but easy of understanding (or easy to understand??) but the second one is rather hard to understand. I'm seeking for one grammar that I can learn and understand too much. If know one, I thanks in advantage.

Well, that's all.
I know I made lots of mistakes writing it down but I'm here to learn. So I apologise for killing your English:-( but you can correct me as well. It's easiest to me, to learn with my mistakes.

Thanks for all (or thanks to all?)

Falcon:up:

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
I quite agree.

I'm Brazilian and I love this language. I've studied English in London for eight months - Dec 2004/Aug 2005 - (I began as basic and stopped at intermediate level) but since this time I didn't stop to study on my own. I'm always buying books, DVD's and so on and searching for ways to get my English improved. My principal difficulty is about when I must use in, on, at, about, to, for, with, -ing forms and other words or when not use them. The big problem also, is that here, in Brazil, everybody speaks Portuguese and I don't have anyone to practise English, so despite understand about 90% or more when I'm watching TV (CNN, BBC and FOX) and also understand about the same percentage when I'm reading something I have this problem when I need to write down or to speak in English.

I use this forum as a English School because I'm always learning something new around here. However, sometimes I feel ashamed in asking questions that could be too basic for you, but for a guy like me who only spoke Portuguese for 31 years, it isn't easy change the brain just in a few years.

I'd like to take advantage of this thread and ask for some help to chose a good grammar's book. I bought two books: Active English Grammar (Collins Cobuild) and Oxford Practice Grammar. The first one is compact but easy of understanding (or easy to understand??) but the second one is rather hard to understand. I'm seeking for one grammar that I can learn and understand too much. If know one, I thanks in advantage.

Well, that's all.
I know I made lots of mistakes writing it down but I'm here to learn. So I apologise for killing your English:-( but you can correct me as well. It's easiest to me, to learn with my mistakes.

Thanks for all (or thanks to all?)

First of all, you needn't get ashamed if you don't know anything. I have been teaching English for three decades and still I have a lot of things to learn. As to a good grammar book I'll recommend you to buy "English Grammar in Use". It's a self-study reference and practice book for beginners,intermediate and advanced students. The author is Raymond Murphy. I wish you good luck!:-D

Falcon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
First of all, you needn't get ashamed if you don't know anything. I have been teaching English for three decades and still I have a lot of things to learn. As to a good grammar book I'll recommend you to buy "English Grammar in Use". It's a self-study reference and practice book for beginners,intermediate and advanced students. The author is Raymond Murphy. I wish you good luck!:-D

Thanks for the tip!

I was searching for this grammar in "Amazon.com" but I found lots of them by the same author and now I don't know what do I should buy.
You, being a teacher, noticing my English around here what do you think I have to chose? An intermediate or advanced level? (Well, I think I'm not a begginer...) What do you recommend? Of course I know you don't know me but I think that through these words you can get an idea.
Just to let you know, I enjoy a lot studying English and want to improve it as fast as I can so I want a grammar which help me to achieve this aim.

Teachers, I'd like to get all tips about what's the best way to learn English on my own, if you could.

Cheers!

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks for the tip!

I was searching for this grammar in "Amazon.com" but I found lots of them by the same author and now I don't know what do I should buy.
You, being a teacher, noticing my English around here what do you think I have to chose? An intermediate or advanced level? (Well, I think I'm not a begginer...) What do you recommend? Of course I know you don't know me but I think that through these words you can get an idea.
Just to let you know, I enjoy a lot studying English and want to improve it as fast as I can so I want a grammar which help me to achieve this aim.

Teachers, I'd like to get all tips about what's the best way to learn English on my own, if you could.

Cheers!

Yes, you aren't a beginner of course. You'd better start with an intermediate level. The cover is dark blue here in Moscow. What else can I advise you to do? Read the materials of our forum from time to time, watch English films on TV and listen to CNN or BBC news. Finally don't forget to read books in your free time. Cheers!
Harry Smith :-D

Falcon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Yes, you aren't a beginner of course. You'd better start with an intermediate level. The cover is dark blue here in Moscow. What else can I advise you to do? Read the materials of our forum from time to time, watch English films on TV and listen to CNN or BBC news. Finally don't forget to read books in your free time. Cheers!
Harry Smith :-D

I'll follow these tips!

Cheers!

Falcon
:up:

Falcon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi!

The grammar book you told me is really great!!

I'm studying now and I'll be back soon to say anything else about it.

Thanks for the tip!!

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi!

The grammar book you told me is really great!!

I'm studying now and I'll be back soon to say anything else about it.

Thanks for the tip!!

Hi, Falcon!
I'm very happy to hear from you! Any time!:-D

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
A week ago we had the ceremony of the "Last Bell" for school leavers. All the teachers were given medals with their photos on them. I was given my medal for "understanding and nobleness". These two words were written under my photo. They also said one year was a very short period to learn English. But they thanked me for awakening the wish to learn English and they were full of hope to learn English in future. This episode shows how important English is nowadays. I'm proud of my students though I taught them only once a week. we had only two lessons one day of the week.

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi!!!

I'm new here. I think learning English is so important these days like in looking for good jobs here in the Philippines. In interviews, using English is a great advantage. It seems that you're much educated than others if your English is superior.

I've been learning English since primary school but didn't give much attention to it, not until now that I graduated from college and needs to look for better jobs.

Could you give me some tips on how to further my English learning.
I do self-study. And I couldn't afford expensive books about English but I love English very much...
I talk to my friends in English at times and read many English books, I copy movie lines everytime something is new to me. I also surf the net for expressions and even slangs and idioms. I get addicted to this language really.

But I want to develop a deeper touch of English. My choice of words and expressions are quite close to beginners, is it? I really am desperate to learn more advance vocabularies and put them in use. Expressions, too!!! Idioms? it would be great!!! I If you could give some tips I would greatly appreciate your effort...

I found this site just today, and I don't want to put off the opportunity to be part of a big community of English lovers. I know I would learn much in here, I know I will.

Thanks a lot!!!

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi!!!

I'm new here. I think learning English is so important these days like in looking for good jobs here in the Philippines. In interviews, using English is a great advantage. It seems that you're much educated than others if your English is superior.

I've been learning English since primary school but didn't give much attention to it, not until now that I graduated from college and needs to look for better jobs.

Could you give me some tips on how to further my English learning.
I do self-study. And I couldn't afford expensive books about English but I love English very much...
I talk to my friends in English at times and read many English books, I copy movie lines everytime something is new to me. I also surf the net for expressions and even slangs and idioms. I get addicted to this language really.

But I want to develop a deeper touch of English. My choice of words and expressions are quite close to beginners, is it? I really am desperate to learn more advance vocabularies and put them in use. Expressions, too!!! Idioms? it would be great!!! I If you could give some tips I would greatly appreciate your effort...

I found this site just today, and I don't want to put off the opportunity to be part of a big community of English lovers. I know I would learn much in here, I know I will.

Thanks a lot!!!

Welcome to the forum! I'll write later when you have read all the materials of the forum. I hope you'll find the answers of your questions.:-D

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
A week ago we had the ceremony of the "Last Bell" for school leavers. All the teachers were given medals with their photos on them. I was given my medal for "understanding and nobleness". These two words were written under my photo. They also said one year was a very short period to learn English. But they thanked me for awakening the wish to learn English and they were full of hope to learn English in future. This episode shows how important English is nowadays. I'm proud of my students though I taught them only once a week. we had only two lessons one day of the week.

Oh, I didn't know that there is something like "Last Bell" in other countries as well... In my country, it's called "poslední zvonění" (in literary translation: last ringing (of a bell)) and all the students from the last grades of high schools (and some primary schools - to the age of 15, here) disguise as someone else (a doctor, cleaner, maybe a batman :-D...), usually make a lot of noise and go to the streets to "beg" for some money (for a party which they usually hold after their school leaving exams, a week or two after the "Last Bell"). And it's a great fun... I myself have participated in it this year ;-).

What about some other countries? Is there something like this as well?

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Welcome to the forum! I'll write later when you have read all the materials of the forum. I hope you'll find the answers of your questions.:-D

Thanks! I see what you mean now. I really am learning a lot here. I'm enjoying it too...

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks! I see what you mean now. I really am learning a lot here. I'm enjoying it too...

So as you see the importance of learning English brought you here and I wish you good luck!

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
So as you see the importance of learning English brought you here and I wish you good luck!

Yes!!! and I really hope to learn so much from here. and I am learning a lot now, I need to gain more knowledge of the rules first I think.

Actually, I do use English everyday, at work and I practice at home.
It's quite necessary for me to improve for I talk with foreigners everyday, Not natives though but I would like to have a conversation with natives, I believe it will help me a lot more...

Status
Not open for further replies.