Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes!!! and I really hope to learn so much from here. and I am learning a lot now, I need to gain more knowledge of the rules first I think.

Actually, I do use English everyday, at work and I practice at home.
It's quite necessary for me to improve for I talk with foreigners everyday, Not natives though but I would like to have a conversation with natives, I believe it will help me a lot more...

You have chosen the right way for learning English. The most important thing in learning English is to have a great wish. I see you have it and I wish you again all the best and keep in touch. Cheers!:-D

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I'm just curious, what is it to native English speakers to further their knowledge in English?

I'm a Filipino; and I know two dialects, my province's and Tagalog which is our national language. but we Filipinos don't give much effort to learn and go deeper in Tagalog... we just study tagalog in school, that's all.... after all, we can communicate to native Tagalog speakers....

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
That's right!!!
So it's so important to learn it English pretty well in case we meet people from other worlds....:) :-D :lol:

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
That's right!!!
So it's so important to learn it English pretty well in case we meet people from other worlds....:) :-D :lol:

Hi, Blouen!
Do you think that English learners in your country really feel its importance?

Falcon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
English language is the door open to the future!

I'm proud in saying that currently I'm learning English on my own and even so I know I'm getting better everyday. Since I found out this website, I can cont on having native English "teachers" around the wolrd to help me when I need and this encourage me a lot! (Well, I even bought a grammar book guided by one of those teachers!:).

Without English, I feel myself 'lost' in the world. Thought people here in my country speak Portuguese, I'm councious of the importance of this language. It's a pitty I do not have anyone to practise this wonderful language...; English connect the world.

The more we learn English, the more the world open its doors to us.

Cheers

Falcon:up:

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
English language is the door open to the future!

I'm proud in saying that currently I'm learning English on my own and even so I know I'm getting better everyday. Since I found out this website, I can cont on having native English "teachers" around the wolrd to help me when I need and this encourage me a lot! (Well, I even bought a grammar book guided by one of those teachers!:).

Without English, I feel myself 'lost' in the world. Thought people here in my country speak Portuguese, I'm councious of the importance of this language. It's a pitty I do not have anyone to practise this wonderful language...; English connect the world.

The more we learn English, the more the world open its doors to us.

Cheers

Falcon:up:

Nice point of view for learning English. I think without feeling the importance of the language we can't learn it. Nobody can make us learn a foreign language but ourselves.:up:

Member Type
Student or Learner
it's been said English is important to meet other people of the world... but what if those other people of the world can't speak English???:shock:

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi, Blouen!
Do you think that English learners in your country really feel its importance?
I don't know! For me it is... I have my goals in life and I think it's one of those that may help me reach them.

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
it's been said English is important to meet other people of the world... but what if those other people of the world can't speak English???:shock:
Only a few people in the world can't understand English these days. I'd go to those who could understand...

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
I don't know! For me it is... I have my goals in life and I think it's one of those that may help me reach them.

So you think English is one of the main tools to help you reach your goal in life. I think you aren't alone who thinls so.:)

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
a BIG YES!!! I'm learning intensively these days. I wish my English would be perfect(if possible).

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
a BIG YES!!! I'm learning intensively these days. I wish my English would be perfect(if possible).

My best wishes in learning English and in your private life. I can see you really consider English one of the most important things in your life. Cheers!

JULY ISABEL

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I have always worked in one school. But this school is a new one for me. It's my first year here and I'm given the worst classes. I mean they haven't had English regularly. It's the second month I'm teaching here and I think I have a lot to do to improve their English. I have only made them get interested in it so far. I have 15-16 students in one group. It really very hard to teach them in such large groups.
I think it´s very complicated to teach a language in a group of 15-16 students and even more they can learn it in a situation like that, but when I was at school we were 30 students and we didn´t learn english at all because we were a lot. However you have the opportunity to teach them in a small group. if you want they learn it, they´ll learn, remember we progress in anythng little by little. Go ahead, perhaps it means a challenge for you and the results will be what you want to achieve.

JULY ISABEL

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
A week ago we had the ceremony of the "Last Bell" for school leavers. All the teachers were given medals with their photos on them. I was given my medal for "understanding and nobleness". These two words were written under my photo. They also said one year was a very short period to learn English. But they thanked me for awakening the wish to learn English and they were full of hope to learn English in future. This episode shows how important English is nowadays. I'm proud of my students though I taught them only once a week. we had only two lessons one day of the week.
I congratulate you on reaching these results in your students. It´s a pity you haven´t had the opportunity to teach them more english. However you did the best. I think you feel proud of yourself and it is very important in our lives.

JULY ISABEL

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I teach English in Korea. When I arrived four years ago, I can say for certain there were days when the students didn't want to participate in the lesson. I think this is natural- even for some adult students.

In regards to young learners, the spectrum is wide from one student to the next. John is outgoing but craves attention. He may give wrong answers to make his classmates laugh. Jane is shy. She may be terrified of what her peers think of her. The point is, there must be a fun and interesting activity that encompasses all students in a safe environment. By safe, we are talking about a lack of inhibitions and an eagerness to participate meaningfully.

Now, all my classes are taught from computer screens or projectors (3 x 3 meter screens) connected via computers. I use flash files with an abundance of visual imagery. Lesson pace is fast. There is a Q and A game at the end (the last 10-20 minutes) that reviews lesson content. The material engages the students as a group. There are many personalities (albeit developing ones) joined together in an activity that most of them like.

Some students really despise English (for any number of reasons) while others can't get enough of it. I believe this is universal. You can say the same thing about math. I would encourage teachers to find the medium- the material and a comfortable atmosphere where all students have the opportunity to participate. In some cases this is a gargantuan task.

Please see The Language Works profile if you want a link to the flash files I use. Good Luck to all teachers and especially those with difficult students.

On the one hand I think it is a challenge for you to teach english there. On the other hand you have a real way to teach something beacuse if you have a correct attitude and enough materials to study, your students won´t neither feel bored nor be disappointed at having a repetitive teacher.
Congratulations

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
I congratulate you on reaching these results in your students. It´s a pity you haven´t had the opportunity to teach them more english. However you did the best. I think you feel proud of yourself and it is very important in our lives.

Hi, July Isabel!
Thank you for your kind wishes and I'm sure English is one of the most important languages for you too. You say you couldn't learn English at school as there were thirty of you in one group. So where did you learn English after all?:)

Veron1

Member Type
Student or Learner
A week ago we had the ceremony of the "Last Bell" for school leavers. All the teachers were given medals with their photos on them. I was given my medal for "understanding and nobleness". These two words were written under my photo. They also said one year was a very short period to learn English. But they thanked me for awakening the wish to learn English and they were full of hope to learn English in future. This episode shows how important English is nowadays. I'm proud of my students though I taught them only once a week. we had only two lessons one day of the week.
Congratulations
you really deserve it,Harry:-D

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
My best wishes in learning English and in your private life. I can see you really consider English one of the most important things in your life. Cheers!
I consider English as one of my strengths. I need to build on my strengths to get ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.