• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

THE Importance of English Nowadays

I think English is becoming more and more important today. That's why before starting teaching we must tell them about it. I mean not only in words but also in practice.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: THE Importance of English Nowadays

I think it's a good idea to explain why people are learning something.

Kanaga Raj is offline Newbie

You're right sir.I'll join again.In India, the imprtance of learning English language for getting a good jo in multinational companies has been understood by the youngsters, and that is good.

Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Teaching English is very easy. It's rather difficult to explain the students how important it is to know English nowadays. I have met a lot of people who learn English but they don't seem to know it until they realise its importance.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 02-Oct-2006 at 20:54.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

It's very important to prepare for the first lesson thoroughly because the further success depends on it. The first impression is the most lasting. When the students realise the importance of English they just learn it with pleasure. In this case teachers have no problem and they also teach with pleasure.

Yes, I quite agree with you. English is, no doubt, a very important language, for it is an international means of communication. The problem is that, as things are nowadays, here in Portugal, students don't seem to realise its real importance, because they don't need it! They don't like to speak in English... They aren't interested in learning it... and we, teachers are having some difficulties in showing them the real importance of learning it!
    I take "realia" to the classroom, show them videos, pictures, etc, but they don't care... they don't see the importance of this language! On the other hand, the schools haven't the good technological material to motivate them!And... however... how I love English!!!
    If you have any suggestions... please feel free to let me know and I would be very grateful to you!

Yes it seems that English has earned its place not only in its native origins but along with the movement of globalization... A lot of implications, if one knows how to communicate in English, there is a greater chance to survive in this world. And English draws the line from the schooled and out of school. Most of our learning materials are in English and most of the media (music, movies, major news network, etc.) are in this medium... That's reality, right?

Last week, I had the chance to be an audience for this conference in Chicago and it seems that we seem to have a thin line distinguishing which English is really the one we are using... (American, British...etc) It seems pretty passive of us but it is still notable that there are sociological implications that we sometimes take for granted. So there is more meaning if we also go beyond the grammar exercises and also give our selves the "deeper" stuff..

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Bicbic View Post
    Yes it seems that English has earned its place not only in its native origins but along with the movement of globalization... A lot of implications, if one knows how to communicate in English, there is a greater chance to survive in this world. And English draws the line from the schooled and out of school. Most of our learning materials are in English and most of the media (music, movies, major news network, etc.) are in this medium... That's reality, right?

Last week, I had the chance to be an audience for this conference in Chicago and it seems that we seem to have a thin line distinguishing which English is really the one we are using... (American, British...etc) It seems pretty passive of us but it is still notable that there are sociological implications that we sometimes take for granted. So there is more meaning if we also go beyond the grammar exercises and also give our selves the "deeper" stuff..
    Today half a billion people speak English as their mother tongue. Correct me if I'm mistaken. I just think so. Also everywhere in the world English is the most spoken language.