Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think English is becoming more and more important today. That's why before starting teaching we must tell them about it. I mean not only in words but also in practice.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it's a good idea to explain why people are learning something. ;-)

Kanaga Raj

Member Type
Student or Learner
You're right sir.I'll join again.In India, the imprtance of learning English language for getting a good jo in multinational companies has been understood by the youngsters, and that is good.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Teaching English is very easy. It's rather difficult to explain the students how important it is to know English nowadays. I have met a lot of people who learn English but they don't seem to know it until they realise its importance.

Last edited:

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's very important to prepare for the first lesson thoroughly because the further success depends on it. The first impression is the most lasting. When the students realise the importance of English they just learn it with pleasure. In this case teachers have no problem and they also teach with pleasure.

Sunflower34

Yes, I quite agree with you. English is, no doubt, a very important language, for it is an international means of communication. The problem is that, as things are nowadays, here in Portugal, students don't seem to realise its real importance, because they don't need it! They don't like to speak in English... They aren't interested in learning it... and we, teachers are having some difficulties in showing them the real importance of learning it!
I take "realia" to the classroom, show them videos, pictures, etc, but they don't care... they don't see the importance of this language! On the other hand, the schools haven't the good technological material to motivate them!And... however... how I love English!!!
If you have any suggestions... please feel free to let me know and I would be very grateful to you!
;-)

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, I quite agree with you. English is, no doubt, a very important language, for it is an international means of communication. The problem is that, as things are nowadays, here in Portugal, students don't seem to realise its real importance, because they don't need it! They don't like to speak in English... They aren't interested in learning it... and we, teachers are having some difficulties in showing them the real importance of learning it!
I take "realia" to the classroom, show them videos, pictures, etc, but they don't care... they don't see the importance of this language! On the other hand, the schools haven't the good technological material to motivate them!And... however... how I love English!!!
If you have any suggestions... please feel free to let me know and I would be very grateful to you!
;-)

Why not tell them a real story about Portugese football team saying that most players speak English fluently and with the help of English they are very successful in life.
Or maybe tell them if they want to make new friends in different countries they will need English. Laast of all the enternet is mainly English. If they want to surf the net they can't do it without knowing English.

Sunflower34

Hi, Harry!

Nice of you to give me such good advice but the problem is that they don't like studying... they reject everything that involves some kind of effort... and even English that is very easy, interesting and also very important they despise!! Of course we tell and show them how important the English language is nowadays (and they know it...) but as it involves learning, studying... they say they don't like it! Even with songs, magazines, the internet... it's very difficult to make them like English. :-?
I think the problem of our educational system is that students are used to pass the year and progress at school without studying at all, without much effort... and I think that learning is good, important but it also involves some mental efforts... And while students don't see schools as a place of learning and not only playing, they can't understand the importance of that!
What's your opinion?

Lenka

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am a student :). I love English and learning any other languages. I don't understand my class-mates who say they hate it, but it's their opinion and I can't change it, anyway. On the other hand, I hate Chemistry, for instance ;-) .

Would you like to motivate younger or rather older children? When I was little, my first English teacher (it was in the 4th class... a long time ago!) used to give us stickers if we were good in something. It was nice... I liked competing with others!

I think there are hundreds of ways how to make the students learn and prepare for the lessons! My recent motivation is "university". I do my best (and learn really a lot) to be prepared for the entrance exams...

Communication with other people (in English) - that's the biggest motivation at all, I think.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi, Harry!

Nice of you to give me such good advice but the problem is that they don't like studying... they reject everything that involves some kind of effort... and even English that is very easy, interesting and also very important they despise!! Of course we tell and show them how important the English language is nowadays (and they know it...) but as it involves learning, studying... they say they don't like it! Even with songs, magazines, the internet... it's very difficult to make them like English. :-?
I think the problem of our educational system is that students are used to pass the year and progress at school without studying at all, without much effort... and I think that learning is good, important but it also involves some mental efforts... And while students don't see schools as a place of learning and not only playing, they can't understand the importance of that!
What's your opinion?
I can't say that I don't believe you. But I read in your posts very often that educational system is in the process of reformation and the students don't want to learn English. I don't agree with you on the second point, i.e they don't want to learn. Why? Because I have been teaching Endlish since 1977 and whenever I had problems in teaching It was my fault. I wasn't experienced enough. Now it seems to me that Students everywhere are the same. Why in a small country Armenia everybody tries to learn English and in Portugal nobody wants?. Maybe you should change your mind and say that all the students in Portugal are eager to know English and start teaching them.

Sunflower34

Well... I've been teaching English and also my own language for almost 9 years. Of course I can't say that it's so long... but what I can realise is that studets are worse than they used to be... when I started and the problem doesn't seem to be only mine! I know many teachers in my country and they have the same opinion as mine! Even older teachers!!!
Can I ask you howm many students have you got right now? And how long do you work with your students... how long do you know them? And also if you are always changing from school to school?
However I still like my job very much!!!! And I keep on doing my best despite all the strikes that we are having right now!!! I know that some day later or earlier they will understand the importance of English!:lol:

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Well... I've been teaching English and also my own language for almost 9 years. Of course I can't say that it's so long... but what I can realise is that studets are worse than they used to be... when I started and the problem doesn't seem to be only mine! I know many teachers in my country and they have the same opinion as mine! Even older teachers!!!
Can I ask you howm many students have you got right now? And how long do you work with your students... how long do you know them? And also if you are always changing from school to school?
However I still like my job very much!!!! And I keep on doing my best despite all the strikes that we are having right now!!! I know that some day later or earlier they will understand the importance of English!:lol:

I have always worked in one school. But this school is a new one for me. It's my first year here and I'm given the worst classes. I mean they haven't had English regularly. It's the second month I'm teaching here and I think I have a lot to do to improve their English. I have only made them get interested in it so far. I have 15-16 students in one group. It really very hard to teach them in such large groups.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think there is no need to speak about the importance of English nowadays or maybe it's still actual, isn't it?

tiny

Hai, i am new here. it seems that most of you talked about the importance of English. Yes, i do agree that English has become a prominant language throughout the world. Here in Malaysia, all of us know the importance of the language as because it has been our second language. English has become one of the prominant language due to its uniqueness that can connect people and it also break down a lot of boundaries and barriers that people faced.:lol:

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hai, i am new here. it seems that most of you talked about the importance of English. Yes, i do agree that English has become a prominant language throughout the world. Here in Malaysia, all of us know the importance of the language as because it has been our second language. English has become one of the prominant language due to its uniqueness that can connect people and it also break down a lot of boundaries and barriers that people faced.:lol:

Thanks, Tiny! Any other ideas?

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's very important to choose the right textbooks and methods for teaching English. A lot of good textbooks are out of date and it's necessary to change everything in them. Nowadays English is very easy to learn when there is great need for it.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Fifteen students from thirty have chosen English as a final examination at high school in my class. So it shows how important English is nowadays. I'm really happy today.:-D

Maria Bicbic

Yes it seems that English has earned its place not only in its native origins but along with the movement of globalization... A lot of implications, if one knows how to communicate in English, there is a greater chance to survive in this world. And English draws the line from the schooled and out of school. Most of our learning materials are in English and most of the media (music, movies, major news network, etc.) are in this medium... That's reality, right?

Last week, I had the chance to be an audience for this conference in Chicago and it seems that we seem to have a thin line distinguishing which English is really the one we are using... (American, British...etc) It seems pretty passive of us but it is still notable that there are sociological implications that we sometimes take for granted. So there is more meaning if we also go beyond the grammar exercises and also give our selves the "deeper" stuff..

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Congratulations, Harry! :cheers:
Thanks very much, Morpheus! Now I am thinking how to organise it. There is one way, i.e the traditional examinations. Any ideas on this matter?:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.