Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What makes my English listening comprehension poor?

I have known it for long that my English listening comprehension is far from good. It's the common case that I cannot make out what the component words and phrases are when a sentence is output in the form of sound, such as utterance and audio, while I can understand the sentence without effort if it is presented in print.

Sometimes I try to make out what has brought about this sitation. I have an idea that it is the way that I have been learning (and been taught) English that have resulted in it: I have been learning by reading, writing and translating, not or seldom by listening and speaking, especially when I started my English learning, when I (and my peers of that time) did not even have an eligible and certificated teacher who'd been formally and regularly traind in English and English teaching. Thus we had long before fallen into a wrong and bad language learning habit which has been causing serious problems in our English-learning progress.

I believe there must be a lot of people here in this forum who enjoy perfect listening comprehension. I'm really in need of listening skills. If you'd like to give some of your own valuable experience, I'll be very obliged. You're welcome to write in either Chinese or English.

--------------

Is 'makes' correctly used in the title? 'made'? 'has made'? 'has been making'? Can I say 'what has made(if correct) POOR my English listening comprehension'? Which is better?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is 'makes' correctly used in the title? Yes. 'made'? 'has made'? 'has been making'? No.

Can I say 'what has made(if correct) POOR my English listening comprehension'? No.

My experience has been that having a good foundation in the written language makes gaining aural comprehension much easier.

Watch movies and TV with English subtitles—not closed captions, which capture every word, but conventional subtitles that use fewer words than the script to convey most of the meaning. This primes your ear by giving you clues about what to expect but still makes you work to hear what's really being said.

It's going to take a lot of exposure, so you'll have to devote considerable time to the project. I subscribed to a French satellite TV channel when I wanted to improve my French comprehension in the days before streaming was available. The network employed subtitlers in California who took advantage of the time difference to subtitle the nightly news in time to broadcast it the same day, so I recorded it and watched it nearly every evening. It was a huge help.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Rover_KE
Also answered here.

C.S.Hy, please tell us when you are receiving answers from another forum and give us links to them.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by C.S.Hy

I will do that in the future, Rover KE.

When were you planning on giving us links to these threads—all of which you have also posted here?

https://forum.wordreference.com/thre...title.3526548/
https://forum.wordreference.com/thre...-area.3525562/
https://forum.wordreference.com/thr...o-our-mutual-advantage.3525462/#post-17913243

Last edited:

CSHY

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you rover, and sorry for forgetting to do that.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Please don't post across multiple forums at the same time- many of the people answering questions get sick of seeing the same things over and over again. Post on one, wait and then post on another.

Status
Not open for further replies.