English Teacher
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello colleagues!
I am doing my Phd and doing a research on translanguaging and teachers attitudes. If you are using translanguaging in your classroom , can you tell me about your classes so I can write observation for them (if there are any videos possible it would be perfect.)I would kindly ask you to asnwer some questions ,please answer the questions in a detailed way ,thank you for your time and effort
Teaching Experience:
Which Grade you are working with(Primary, Secondary, High School, University):

OPEN ENDED QUESTIONS
1. What do you think about allowing students using two languages (Turkish and English) while learning English?

2. Do you allow your students to use two languages in your classroom? If yes, why? If not, why not?

3. How does allowing two languages to be used in the classroom influence your teaching?

4. How do you think your students’ use of two languages helps them influence their language learning

5. How might being allowed to use two languages help students feel?

NOTE:You can get help from the tables under the questions. Thank you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This question only affects monolingual classes, which rules out a lot of ESL teaching. I have no problems with using a second language in class as long as it is used as a tool and not as a crutch.

NinjaTurtle

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. What do you think about allowing students using two languages (Turkish and English) while learning English?

We need to define ''students using two languages". One is the teacher giving examples in the students' native language as well as in the target language (English). This, by extension, includes the idea of students also using the two languages. If you mean the teacher using two languages, it is an excellent idea. For example, when teaching the five meanings of Present Perfect, I give the five meanings to the students in their own language. This works very well.

2. Do you allow your students to use two languages in your classroom? If yes, why? If not, why not?

If you mean allowing the student to speak in their native language as well as in the target language (English), the answer is no. Their purpose is to learn English. There is no need for them to use their native language in class.

3. How does allowing two languages to be used in the classroom influence your teaching?

It saves times and increases understanding.

4. How do you think your students’ use of two languages helps them influence their language learning?

It saves times and increases understanding.

5. How might being allowed to use two languages help students feel?

I have never encountered a student who "feels bad" about it. No problem as to students' emotional responses.

Teaching Experience:

Many years

I teach both male and female students

Which Grade you are working with(Primary, Secondary, High School, University):

University

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
when teaching the five meanings of Present Perfect, I give the five meanings to the students in their own language.

I'm curious as to what these five meanings are. I assume you mean five 'uses'. Could you list them briefly?

NinjaTurtle

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Have you ever...?

2. I haven't...yet.

3a. I have studied English for...years.
3b. I have been studying English for...years.

4. The rain has stopped.

5. The Second Idea within (the difference between a mother asking "Did you wash your hands yet?" and "Have you washed your hands yet?"

Status
Not open for further replies.