Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

reported speech - Who shall I say called?

A head nurse in the hospital received a call: "could you tell me the condition of Mr. Smith in room 405. He was operated upon last week and I would like to know how he is."
    The nurse checked the record and the chart and replied, "His condition is excellent and he seems to be making a steady improvement. Who shall I say called?."
    The voice replied: "This is Mr. Smith in room 405. My doctors don't tell me a thing!"

"His condition is excellent and he seems to be making a steady improvement. Who shall I say called?."
    Is it correct if I report the sentence above as follows?
    The nurse replied his condition was excellent and that he seemed to be making a steady improvement. Then she wondered who called.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: reported speech - Who shall I say called?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie.z View Post
    A head nurse in the hospital received a call: "Could you tell me the condition of Mr. Smith in room 405? He was operated upon had an operation last week and I would like to know how he is."
    The nurse checked the record and the chart and replied, "His condition is excellent and he seems to be making a steady improvement. Who shall I say called?" (Don't put a full stop after a question mark.)
    The voice replied: "This is Mr. Smith in room 405. My doctors don't tell me a thing!"

"His condition is excellent and he seems to be making a steady improvement. Who shall I say called?" (Don't put a full stop after a question mark.)
    Is it correct if I report the sentences above as follows?
    The nurse replied that his condition was excellent and [that] he seemed to be making a steady improvement. Then she wondered asked who called was calling.
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

No, that doesn't work. "Reply" is an intransitive verb. Try again and post below.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Jennie.z, please don't post the same question twice. You are relatively new here so your first few posts will go into moderation and have to be cleared by a moderator before they're visible. That's why there might some delay between your posting a question and it appearing on the forum. Be patient.

I merged your two threads - that's why the same post appears twice at the top of this thread.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Skrej View Post
    Also, do you understand that these sentences are actually a joke?
    I'm not sure why the post no longer appears twice at the top of this thread (it did when I merged the two threads) but I think the second post started with something like "There is a joke which says ...", so I think Jennie.z is aware of that. I could be wrong!