Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
What do you call an individual who does their job without any desire and with total indifference to the results? Google Translate gave me "slob" when I suggested it the Russian word for such a person - "разгильдяй". For some reason, I'm not sure it's a suitable one. What do you say? Are there any more suitable options?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would call that person unemployed.

;-)

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
What if he's employed? :)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel was just kidding.

Slobs are people who are sloppy. Slobs don't clean up after themselves. They don't clean the house, they splash food when they eat, and they go out in dirty clothes. It has nothing to do with employment. Lots of slobs are good, conscientious workers.

Nouns you might use include:

- goldbricker
- malingerer

Adjectives:

- indifferent
- lazy

I hope that helps!

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thanks, Charlie. The sense of the word I'm trying to find is a bit different from "goldbricker" and "malinger". Sometimes the Russian word "разгильдяй" could be translated by the two nouns you suggested, but there is more of another meaning in it. "Разгильдяй", when he doesn't avoid work and works, does it in a sloppy way, slovenly. I think "goldbricker" and "malingerer" are more about cheating, simulating illness, right? Maybe "sloven" then? When you said "slob" is someone who's sloppy, the word "sloven" came to mind; they sound as if they are of one root. And it seems to fit. Strange logic, I agree. :) But what do you think of "sloven"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sloven isn't used. It's too bad, because it really might fit.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Let's take an example where someone is neatly dressed, say, a politician, but makes important decisions too lightly. What would you call such a person considering you were annoyed by such a light (or sloppy) approach to important decisions? I bet you'd find a dozen of rough words in such a situation. :)

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't think of a noun for the original question, but the adjective 'half-assed' can be used to describe work that is done in an incomplete or shoddy manner. It's of course slang, and some might consider if mildly offensive.

It's probably not standard usage, but I've also heard this used as verb.

He just half-assed this assignment. It's a complete mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.