• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Lesson planning tool

Hello ESL teacher colleagues,

I've been toying around with developing an ESL lesson planning tool app. It's helped my lesson planning, but mostly because it got me thinking about lesson stages and activities as I was developing it! It's still in an infancy and I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing. Would appreciate any advice, suggestions, and feedback from your perspective. You can check out the beta version here: https://myeslplan.com.

Cheers!

-John

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Lesson planning tool

Hi John

It's an interesting idea but I'm not sure how it works. I don't see how it can help you figure out how best to achieve your aims. Normally when planning a lesson, both the duration of the stages and type of task ought really depend on what you aim to achieve.

Having said that, I think it could potentially be of some use. How do you think you could develop it?

3. Newbie
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Re: Lesson planning tool

Hi jutfrank,

Thanks for the reply and the feedback. It's very helpful to see this from another perspective.

I suppose the original goal was to provide a basic framework and ideas for activities for newer ESL teachers. But, I might have got carried away with the project and blurred the lines between novice and experienced ESL teachers. Perhaps I should narrow the scope to focus on helping newer teachers.

For more experienced ESL teachers, I can see how this tool is too rigid. It only applies basic PPP and skills frameworks. As you mentioned, it doesn't account for all types of lesson aims, timing, or other ESL methods. Honestly, I haven't put much thought into how to expand this. Coding is just a hobby of mine, and I did this project for fun. It took me awhile to learn how to do this, but if anyone has suggestions to make it more robust, I'll give it a try.

I shared this with a new CELTA trainee recently, and she used it for all of her lesson plans with positive feedback. However, there are still some bugs and quirks I need to fix.

Still open to more feedback from novice or experienced teachers.

https://myeslplan.com/

Thanks,

John