Need rewording

Target passage:
    'Value, in literature as in life, has much to do with the idiosyncratic, with the excess by which meaning gets started. It is not accidental that historicists -- critics who believe all of us to be overdetermined by societal history -- should also regard literary characters as marks upon a page, and nothing more. Hamlet is not even a case history if our thoughts are not at all our own. I come then to the first principle if we are to restore the way we read now, a principle I appropriate from Dr. Johnson: Clear your mind of cant. '

Value has much to do with the individual characteristcs; the overflow of this individuality brings forth meaning?
    Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Need rewording

Yes, I think so. That seems to be what he means by idiosyncratic.

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Yes, I think so. That seems to be what he means by idiosyncratic.

One might well wonder why 'he' didn't say so then - a more ridiculously obtuse passage of English would be difficult to devise.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Idiosyncratic writing is writing that only the writer understands. Therefore, it is not language, since genuine communication does not exist. If I say to someone that his writing is idiosyncratic that is not a compliment. Certainly, writing like that is individualistic, but it is individualistic to an extreme. When it comes to language we have to share.

~R

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Idiosyncratic writing is writing that only the writer understands. Therefore, it is not language, since genuine communication does not exist.
    Thank you for pointing that out, so next time when reading a sentence like that I don't have to blame it on my mean understanding.