Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
I have Japanese ENT doctor. She sees some English speaking patients some of which are children.
How do I prepare a realistic script for myself as a patient considering that there is interaction between a doctor and a patient? Simple enough to cover cold-like symptoms but how to cover other sorts of conditions. Is there a TV show covering ENTs?
I have been teaching doctors and nurses a bit before.
For her, she just needs to organically respond to me with some set phrases to my speech.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am working with a Japanese ENT doctor. She sees some English speaking patients some of which are children.
How do I prepare a realistic script for myself as a patient considering that there is interaction between a doctor and a patient? Simple enough to cover cold-like symptoms but how to cover other sorts of conditions. Is there a TV show covering ENTs?
For her, she just needs to organically respond to me with some set phrases to my speech.

Are you role playing? Are you the patient?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You could try role-playing.

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
I have Japanese ENT doctor.
How do I prepare a realistic script for myself as a patient .
The script is for me.

How do I roleplay these situations?

I have done some preparation for the student to handle the roleplay.

I don't get sick with every condition.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] teach a Japanese ENT doctor. She sees some English-speaking patients, some of [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] whom are children.
How do I prepare a realistic script for myself as a patient considering that there is interaction between a doctor and a patient? It's simple enough to cover cold-like symptoms but how [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] can I cover other sorts of conditions. Is there a TV show covering ENTs?
For her, she just needs to organically respond to [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] my speech with some set phrases. [STRIKE]to my speech.[/STRIKE]

Note my changes above. Please make sure you write in complete sentences on the forum - learners will assume that everything an English teacher (especially a native speaker) writes is correct.

What are the set phrases that you want her to include? If you have specific phrases in mind, you'll need to write your script in a way that elicits those responses.

I don't know of any TV shows that concentrate on ENT.

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Note my changes above. Please make sure you write in complete sentences on the forum - learners will assume that everything an English teacher (especially a native speaker) writes is correct.

What are the set phrases that you want her to include? If you have specific phrases in mind, you'll need to write your script in a way that elicits those responses.

I don't know of any TV shows that concentrate on ENT.
For her, she just needs to organically respond to me with some set phrases. As I am present and we do more than converse, me is more correct. We do pretend medicine and gesture.

Set phrases such as:

What is your medicine regimen?
How long have you been sick?

I have done this roleplay with real life content that I found online. Unfortunately, there isn't enough relevant real life content. Content relevant for an initial consultation. I write on Kindle and I have a three year old son. He distracts when writing on the PC. This a teacher subforum- ESL students shouldn't reading these threads as good English.

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Searching for patient scenarios brought up these rather good resources. If anyone wants to suggest how to do some of them especially case 4-8 which don't have as much medical terminology as the other ones.
http://www.nottinghamscrubs.co.uk/actions/download_resource?id=619
And the first 10 cases that are free read in the following
https://www.scribd.com/document/101970839/100-Cases-in-Ear-Nose-Throat

Don't worry about the medical terminology as it shouldn't affect the roleplay for you. I will handle it myself.

Thank you in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm really not clear what you're asking us for any more. You have now found some patient scenarios and you said you'll deal with the terminology yourself. Now you just need to write your own roleplay scripts.

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
I'm really not clear what you're asking us for any more. You have now found some patient scenarios and you said you'll deal with the terminology yourself. Now you just need to write your own roleplay scripts.

How forthcoming should the patients be to so as that they sound natural and give the doctor opportunities to speak? I tend to blurt out a lot of medical history and background.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How forthcoming should the patients be [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] so [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] that they sound natural and give the doctor opportunities to speak? I tend to blurt out a lot of medical history and background.

If the idea is to make the student speak as much as possible (which should be the aim of any lesson) you need to keep your answers relatively short so that she has to ask follow-up questions. However, make sure she avoids closed question (ones with only "Yes" and "No" as the possible answers) or she won't learn anything from what you say back to her.

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
The idea of the lesson is that it should be feeling natural so the doctor will feel like asking questions- as though it was close to being a real medical appointment. I don't see a problem if she asks a few closed questions such as" does it hurt here? "" Did it hurt here? "Is the sound you heard like.... ?" It is medical diagnostic roleplay not generic medical roleplay which is fine for non-purpose driven students. She just needs to keep talking.
Here are my efforts. Her husband is coming to this lesson as he has come home early today so I am going use him to present the patient side of roleplay from the notes- he is more of a beginner.
(brackets are suggested questions for my student to use- she could come up with something similar).
Hi I am John My hearing has become very annoying in both ears.
(Can you describe the problem?)
I can't hear some times and I get this hissing sound that no one else hears.
(Do you have a family history?)
My father and grandmother told me that they had something similar.

42 year old female publican; smokes 20 cigarettes a day. Enjoys curry twice a week. Takes Gaviscon . Noticed her voice has become deeper over last 9 months. Was upset when she was mistaken for a man on the phone during a dating agency interview.
I am Sarah.
Something terrible happened to when I called a ABC dating agency
They thought I was a man pretending to be a woman.
I know my voice has been getting lower but really that is too much.
(What is your job?)
I work in a pub.
(Do you smoke and how much?)
I smoke 20 cigs a day.
(Do you eat spicy food?)
I like eating curries. Twice a week for me.
(Do you take medicines?)
I take Gaviscon for indigestion.

Reinke’s 4) 30oedema year old lead singer in a famous rock band. Felt a sharp pain at the level of larynx during the last concert. Was unable to finish the concert. Vocal fold hemorrhagic polyp
Whispering" I am Shona. My assistant set up the appointment"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.