• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: How to prepare a patient script for talking to an ENT

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I'm really not clear what you're asking us for any more. You have now found some patient scenarios and you said you'll deal with the terminology yourself. Now you just need to write your own roleplay scripts.
    How forthcoming should the patients be to so as that they sound natural and give the doctor opportunities to speak? I tend to blurt out a lot of medical history and background.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by cloa View Post
    How forthcoming should the patients be to so as that they sound natural and give the doctor opportunities to speak? I tend to blurt out a lot of medical history and background.
    If the idea is to make the student speak as much as possible (which should be the aim of any lesson) you need to keep your answers relatively short so that she has to ask follow-up questions. However, make sure she avoids closed question (ones with only "Yes" and "No" as the possible answers) or she won't learn anything from what you say back to her.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Junior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

The idea of the lesson is that it should be feeling natural so the doctor will feel like asking questions- as though it was close to being a real medical appointment. I don't see a problem if she asks a few closed questions such as" does it hurt here? "" Did it hurt here? "Is the sound you heard like.... ?" It is medical diagnostic roleplay not generic medical roleplay which is fine for non-purpose driven students. She just needs to keep talking.
    Here are my efforts. Her husband is coming to this lesson as he has come home early today so I am going use him to present the patient side of roleplay from the notes- he is more of a beginner.
    (brackets are suggested questions for my student to use- she could come up with something similar).
    Hi I am John My hearing has become very annoying in both ears.
    (Can you describe the problem?)
    I can't hear some times and I get this hissing sound that no one else hears.
    (Do you have a family history?)
    My father and grandmother told me that they had something similar.

42 year old female publican; smokes 20 cigarettes a day. Enjoys curry twice a week. Takes Gaviscon . Noticed her voice has become deeper over last 9 months. Was upset when she was mistaken for a man on the phone during a dating agency interview.
    I am Sarah.
    Something terrible happened to when I called a ABC dating agency
    They thought I was a man pretending to be a woman.
    I know my voice has been getting lower but really that is too much.
    (What is your job?)
    I work in a pub.
    (Do you smoke and how much?)
    I smoke 20 cigs a day.
    (Do you eat spicy food?)
    I like eating curries. Twice a week for me.
    (Do you take medicines?)
    I take Gaviscon for indigestion.

Reinke’s 4) 30oedema year old lead singer in a famous rock band. Felt a sharp pain at the level of larynx during the last concert. Was unable to finish the concert. Vocal fold hemorrhagic polyp
    Whispering" I am Shona. My assistant set up the appointment"
    Last edited by cloa; 06-Mar-2019 at 07:36.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2