Student or Learner
Native Language
Marathi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Respected sir/madam,
I remember when I was in seventh grade a couple of friends talking about a sitcom -’The Big Bang Theory’. I felt left out so I literally ran home and to catch that day's episode which aired at 1 pm. The show had me riveted to my seat. It was about 4 physicists at CalTech, LA who do not fall into the 'cool dudes’ type but in reality lead amazing lives. Every time the protagonists mentioned, say, string theory or dark matter I ended up googling it and I was exposed to a whole new world of quantum and particle physics. Before I knew it, I was madly in love with the subject. I first read about antimatter in Dan Brown's famous novel- Angels and Demons. My mind was blown at concept of thinking about the 'creation’ of a particle, for all my life I was told that matter cannot be created nor can be destroyed. I instantly looked up the amazing place where this even more amazing discovery had taken place - the Antimatter factory at CERN. Physicists working on the alpha experiment at the LHC in CERN have successfully created antihydrogen. During the same time, our physics teacher told us about probably the greatest breakthrough in physics of the 21st century- discovery of the Higgs Boson field and the Higgs Boson particle! A field which gives mass to every thing in the entire universe. Again this amazing discovery had taken place at this super amazing place- CERN.
By this time I knew I had to visit CERN, for this place holds the answers to the question which has crossed every single mind - ‘where do we come from and what lies in our future?’ The scientists here know everything that has happened in the universe since 10^-10 s after the big bang and have the capabilities of knowing the fate of the universe up to millions of years into the future.
I dream of working at CERN one day, experimenting at the LHC, decoding the mysteries of the universe, learning about the most fundamental of particles and the way they behave. Of course I cannot wait till I'm old enough to work at CERN. It would mean the world to me if I get an opportunity to shadow a physicist working in the Antimatter factory or at any of the particle physics department of CERN. It will be a great chance for me to enhance my knowledge and learn more about the basics of particle physics.
Thank you for your valuable time. I look forward to a positive reply.
Yours sincerely,
Samruddhi.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is Angels and Demons a good book to mention when applying to CERN?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello Samruddhi, and welcome to the forum. :)
Do you know what a letter of motivation typically has in it? Take a look at some of the threads here and on other forums to get an idea. Structure your letter into clear paragraphs (separated by blank lines). Deal with one point in a paragraph. Here are some ideas for what to include:

- Your background.
- What interests you about the program and CERN.
- Your future aspirations.
- Why you think you would succeed in the position you're applying for.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know how old you are (although you did say "I can't wait till I'm old enough to work at CERN" so I'm guessing you might be in your mid-teens). If that's not the case, and you are older, I have to point out that your letter looks like a slightly more complicated version of a letter a ten-year-old might write to, for example, a president/queen/CEO to say "I really like you and I'd like to come and visit you please!"

Please take note of teechar's comments in post #3. You need to make your letter sound much more serious!

Status
Not open for further replies.