English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,

My doctor students requested for Wednesday's lesson for me to teach "take" and "get" amongst other requests. "Get" has a lot of uses even you don't include phrasal verbs.
Which word meanings to include?

The lesson time is 1 1/2 hours. I would really like to do the roleplays (with a little variation) from last lesson when her husband took the patient part.

The other requests are:
I will write in Japanese below..
「鼻水の薬をでします」
IÂ’m going to prescribe you a medicine for a running nose
「熱や痛みの薬を出します」
IÂ’m going to prescribe you a medicine for fever and pain.
「点鼻薬、点眼薬を出します」
I going to prescribe you nose drops or eye drops.
「吸入をしてください」
Please inhale.
「1日に3回飲んでください」
Please take this three times a day.
「3日に一回使ってください」
Please take this once every three days.

「薬を飲み終わったら、また来てください」
When you run out of this medicine, please come and see me.
「薬が効かないときは、早めに来てください」
If this medicine doesn’t work, please come and see me immediately.

"Would you"

"Shall I"
etc.
Note online communication is difficult with the student.

Last edited:
J

J&K Tutoring

American Accent Training: Grammar by Ann Cook has a good section on the word get. I see you're from Australia, so might be put off by American accent in the title, but note the word grammar in the title also. Lots of good information on general grammar and usage in this book. It's written as a self-learning guide, so should be easy to adapt to your needs. Not much in there on take. I can see that a doctor would want especially a good understanding of the usage of take.

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
American Accent Training: Grammar by Ann Cook has a good section on the word get. I see you're from Australia, so might be put off by American accent in the title, but note the word grammar in the title also. Lots of good information on general grammar and usage in this book. It's written as a self-learning guide, so should be easy to adapt to your needs. Not much in there on take. I can see that a doctor would want especially a good understanding of the usage of take

Thanks for your reply but the question is how much less than everything even if I exclude technical usages, phrasal verbs and idiomatic usage of the words it still maybe 20 meanings for take and get- don't have the time to do it. She is a doctor in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Which meanings of "give", "take" and "get" should I give priority to teaching?

J

J&K Tutoring

If you're old enough to teach, you're old enough to decide! It's not quite clear if you are face to face with this student or are doing the lessons on-line.

I think it would be useful to at least show your student all the many ways we use these words and then you can focus the lesson according to your (and her) priorities and time constraints. Dictionaries list definitions more or less from most to least used. You might point out usages that are perhaps not be so common in everyday usage, but might pop up in her professional life. Create an exercise where the student must match sentences containing the target word(s) with the correct meaning. Adult students should be motivated to do a bit of extra work outside of your lessons.

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
In person. This is just a small part of what I am teaching- mostly it is medical English- hard to judge beyond a few of them which are the priority. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/take- definitely not in order of usefulness however the only one I could find with example sentences next to meanings. To get is not as hard to find a reasonable list:
To Contract
Get = contract, take, be stricken by an illness, fall victim to an illness.

• He got a horrible disease while he was traveling.
  • She got pneumonia and had to go to the hospital.
  • She got a cold from Tom.
  • Unfortunately, I got ill from drinking the water while on vacation.
To Induce
Get = induce, stimulate, cause, make someone do, cause to do; cause to act in a certain way, always followed by an object.

• My children finally got me to buy a computer.
  • My wife got me to pay attention to the speaker.
  • The class got the teacher to postpone the test.
  • I wish I could get them to take me seriously!

To Arrive
Get = arrive, reach a destination.

• She got home at 7 o'clock.
  • She didn't get to Chicago until after midnight.
  • I got to work late because of the weather.
  • I won't be able to get there until later.

To Acquire
Get = acquire, buy, come into the possession of something.

• She got a lot of paintings from her uncle.
  • They got a new pet.
  • Get your results the next day.
  • I got my computer at the Apple store.
To Become
Get = become, to change into a state, often used with adjectives.

• He got annoyed when he heard the bad news.
  • It must be getting more serious.
  • Janice has gotten much more open in her attitudes.
  • Please don't get angry with me!
To Receive
Get = receive a present, obtain attention.

• I got some clothes for Christmas.
  • His movie got a good review.
  • I got some books from my girlfriend.
  • What would you like to get for your birthday?
To Bring
Get = bring, fetch, go and bring or take back.

• Get me those books over there, please.
  • Could you get the wine?
  • Let me get the shovel and we'll go to work.
  • I'll just get my phone and then we can leave.
To Experience
Get = experience, undergo, of mental or physical states or experiences.

• He got an idea.
  • She gets vertigo when she looks out the window.
  • They get nauseous when they drive.
  • Peter got frightened by what he thought was a ghost.
To Make
Get = make, score, achieve a point or goal.

• Nicklaus got a 70 on that extremely difficult golf course.
  • The Brazilian team got 4 goals.
  • She got 29 points that day.
  • Anthony got 12 rebounds during the game.
To Pay Back
Get = pay back, take vengeance on or get even

• We'll get them!
  • That'll get him good!
  • This time I got him.
  • Just wait until I get you!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which meanings of "give", "take" and "get" should I give priority to teaching?
All of them. They all matter.

If you're asking where to start, then give and take, in their sense as opposites, might be as good a place as any.

Are these the students who go to New York?

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Yes, she might- difficult to find enough vacation time.
All of them. They all matter.
means you don't understand the word priority and a few of the meanings- there is a some archaic and technical ones.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
the question is how much less than everything even if I exclude technical usages, phrasal verbs and idiomatic usage of the words it still maybe 20 meanings for take and get- don't have the time to do it.

means you don't understand the word priority and a few of the meanings- there is a some archaic and technical ones.

Perhaps you should brush up on your own use of English (and manners) before you try teaching it someone else. You are clearly inexperienced in teaching, so I suggest you listen carefully to people's advice here.

Just teach the three or four most common ones, plus any other more specific ones you think your student may need for her work. Don't forget to think about use as well as meaning. You should look at the ways these verb collocate with other words and also at how these verbs fit into various common verb patterns.

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Priority means in which order. Your boss gives you 5 tasks. You ask which is priority. Your boss tells all then you do nothng for 5 days as you can't do them at the same time. Which are four most common ones? She wants the difference between give, take and get so I will just tell her conceptually and mention how vast a full description would be. You totally ignored my original post

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Priority" means "in which order". Your boss gives you 5 tasks. You ask which [one] is the priority. Your boss tells you they all are, then you do nothing for 5 days as you can't do them at the same time. Which are the four most common ones? (The word "common" doesn't work in that question.)

She wants the difference between "give", "take" and "get" so I will just tell her conceptually and mention how vast a full description would be.

You totally ignored my original post.

I mean no offence, cloa, but are you absolutely sure that your native language is English? We don't usually have to spend so much time correcting posts by native speakers, let alone those by English teachers. One of the reasons your original question is getting lost in the mix is that we are spending a lot of time correcting your posts.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
One of the reasons your original question is getting lost in the mix is that we are spending a lot of time correcting your posts.

As well as trying to work out what you are trying to say.

Your boss gives you 5 tasks. You ask which is priority. Your boss tells all ...

The blue part here is not something a native speaker would say. Please tell us if your first language is not English because this will affect what kind of advice we give you.

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
As well as trying to work out what you are trying to say.

The blue part here is not something a native speaker would say. Please tell us if your first language is not English because this will affect what kind of advice we give you.
You forget it to account for the fact that I am writing on a Kindle .and often in my lunch break and this site doesn't have a review page. So far no one has offered me any concrete information about "get", "take" "give"so I have to doubt that you are a teaching profesional. The Kindle cursor jumps around by itself and precision placement is also hard.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, she might- difficult to find enough vacation time.
That means you don't understand the word priority and a few of the meanings. There are some archaic and technical ones.
Why wouldn't I know what a priority is? I suggested a starting place. That's a priority. And several of the teachers here have given you good advice, which I didn't and won't repeat.

Lots of words have archaic meanings. Don't burden your students with those definitions.

I can't imagine any technical meanings for give, take, or get.

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Take a trick - only for the technical area of card games. What starting place? You have only given vague replies -specifics needed.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Cloa, you are being paid to teach these people English. We're all here as volunteers. Saying things like "Specifics needed" makes it look very much like you're basically expecting us to write your lesson plans for you.

How long have you been teaching English?
What qualification do you have?
While studying to be an English teacher, what information were you given about creating lesson plans?

Additionally, you have consistently failed to take note of our request that you write in complete sentences and in correct, grammatical English. Typing on your Kindle has nothing to do with it. That doesn't explain ungrammatical content.

cloa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Cloa, you are being paid to teach these people English. We're all here as volunteers. Saying things like "Specifics needed" makes it look very much like you're basically expecting us to write your lesson plans for you.

How long have you been teaching English?
What qualification do you have?
While studying to be an English teacher, what information were you given about creating lesson plans?

Additionally, you have consistently failed to take note of our request that you write in complete sentences and in correct, grammatical English. Typing on your Kindle has nothing to do with it. That doesn't explain ungrammatical content.

Specifics such what are the meanings that you think I should prioritise- which is nowhere being a lesson plan. I may disagree but it give me something to discuss rather than the nothing statements like do the top 3 meanings. What incomplete sentences?

I have teaching in Japan for 8 years with some ALT and some home tutoring.
I have some online TEFL certificates- lots of them with some tutor assessment- 120 hours certificate from i-to-i.
The process of creating lesson plans is a bit useful but writing lesson plans is itself not very useful. I have got a template that I sometimes use.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want specifics such as the meanings that you think I should prioritise- which is nothing like a lesson plan. I may disagree, but it gives me something to discuss rather than the nothing statements, as the top three meanings do. What incomplete sentences are you referring to?

I have been teaching in Japan for eight years, with some ALT and some home tutoring.

I have some online TEFL certificates, lots of them with some tutor assessment. I have a 120-hours certificate from i-to-i.
The process of creating lesson plans is a bit useful but writing lesson plans is itself not very useful. I have got a template that I sometimes use.
You could make those top three meanings your priorities.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Priority means in which order. Your boss gives you five tasks. You ask which is the priority. If your boss says all of them, then you do nothng for five days, as you can't do them all at the same time. Which are the four most important ones? She wants the difference between give, take, and get so, I will just tell her conceptually and mention how vast a full description would be. You totally ignored my original post.
I'm sorry you think so. I did suggest a top priority. I think I called it a starting place.

When one of my employees asks me what tasks take priority, I name one or more. Sometimes we put them in order. The right work gets done, so I'm confident that we all know what the priority and prioritize mean.

Why wouldn't we? It's plain English.

Status
Not open for further replies.