Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Australia
Hello, Can anyone help me to improve this writing as well as grade it?

Medical professionals such as doctors and nurses from poorer countries often migrate to richer countries to work.

What problems arise from this situation? What measures can be taken to deal with it?

Doctors and nurses migration due to economic reasons are very common nowadays. Aiming better salaries, many medical professionals leave their poor home country to richer places. This can arise some issues. This essay will discuss what those problems are as well as some solutions that could be taken to overcome them.

There are many problems associated with the migration of medical professionals. Usually, doctors migrate from a non-English speaker country to a country who has English as its first language. If one’s English speaking skills are not excellent, it can become a problematic situation as the interaction between doctor and patient is crucial for the success of a treatment. For example, in Brazil there were many complaints with the migration of Cuban doctors to the country as most of them only spoke Spanish. In addition, there is the prejudice involved in the migration of any kind of professionals and even more with doctors. For instance, people may trust less in someone from another country because they are not sure how good is the education system in that country. To sum, medical professional’s migration to richer countries can lead to some problematic scenarios.

Although there some hard problems involving this kind of migration, there some solutions to minimise them. Firstly, there should be a difficult specific English test with medical vocabulary and focusing on the speaking and listening skills as part of the process for a doctor or nurse to migrate to another country and practice medicine. A recently research showed that people that migrate to another country with a good knowledge of the language have more chance to success. Secondly, the government should promote some campaign on TV to explain that doctors from other countries are as good as the native doctors. When people are educated and know what to expect they are more polite and comprehensive. Despite the problems, there are some measures that could be taken in order to make this kind of migrations less problematic.

This essay discussed both the problems and solutions associated with medical professionals seeking for higher salaries in other countries. While the issues are evidently clear, there are manageable solutions to alleviate them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Who give you this assignment?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not going to give you a score but I can tell you that you've answered the question appropriately and you've organised your ideas, and the text as a whole, well. The grammar and vocabulary is generally good too.

You've probably heard it before but I can't stress how important it is to leave time to check your sentences carefully. Look at this one:

Although there some hard problems involving this kind of migration, there some solutions to minimise them.

Can you spot what major grammatical error you have made twice? Got it? This will stand out like a sore thumb to an examiner, and if I'm right, you would have been able to correct this if you'd paid proper attention to the checking process, which is a shame.

By the way, did it not occur to you at all to consider any problems relating to the country that the migrant has emigrated from? Have you ever heard of the term 'brain drain'?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I take it that's what Tarheel meant to write. ;-)

Yes.
:oops:

Two things. I was tempted to answer the opening question with "Yes, I can help, and there are others here who can too. Also, when somebody mentions grades it is usually a giveaway that it's a homework assignment.

(Ems usually catches those typos. I guess she missed this one.)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
I do not think this is homework. My guess is the OP was preparing for the IELTS exam by themself. Out of curiosity, how much would you grade this piece of writing in an IELTS band score?

I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your correction.

I was hesitating between themself and themselves. I thought the former was to refer to a single person and the latter to a group of people.

I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
You're welcome.
Have you considered installing an English spell-checker in your browser/text editor? That would help you catch such mistakes.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
United States
I have, but I do not use one since I am constantly switching between English and Spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.