Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, I cannot see "from computer" or "from URL". which is supposed to be above " Add an Image from Url."

I am using windows 7. For some reasons I can not use the google chrome on my computer. So I have tried the internet explore and the baidu browser. Neither of them can properly display "from computer" or "from URL".:lol:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why can't you use Google Chrome?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Actually, I do use google Chrome on my computer at work. Still I cannot see the like button. I cannot see myself surviving in this forum without using these two important buttons. Please help me. :oops:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Actually, I do use google Chrome on my computer at work. Still I cannot see the like button. I cannot see myself surviving in this forum without using these two important buttons. Please help me. :oops:

You'll be fine! However, please add a signature line that says something like "I'm sorry but I can't see the Thank or Like buttons so I will have to add posts to express my gratitude".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I hope you stay with us. Just don't bother joining wordreference.com. They've never had 'Thank' and/or 'Like' capabilities.

It is so nice to join this forum.

Who knows? I might have been a spy from wordreference.com. :cool:

I hope this doesn't make you mad, but I cannot find where to edit my signature line. I have checked my profile. :shock:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you're a WR spy, you'll already know they have no such buttons.;-)

Click on Settings near the top of the page, then scroll down to Edit Signature.

It takes more than that to get me mad.:cool:

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Well, this is what I see after clicking on Settings. Edit Signiture is nowhere to be found. Now I have the desire to throw my computer out the window.

[h=2]My Settings[/h]
  • [h=3]
    profile.png
    My Profile[/h]
  • [h=3]
    account.png
    My Account[/h]
  • [h=3]
    network.png
    Networking[/h]
  • [h=3]
    forum.png
    Miscellaneous[/h]
  • [h=3]
    account.png
    DragonByte Mail[/h]
  • [h=3]
    account.png
    DBTech - Post Thanks[/h]

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Try one more thing before taking the drastic step of defenestrating your PC: on that page, click General Settings.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
so I clicked general settings. I still believed that miracles could happen. but no again. Edit signature is still nowhere to be found.

[h=3]Login & Privacy[/h]vCard Download:
  • Allow vCard Download
  • Don't allow vCard download
You may choose to allow other users to download a vCard containing your email address and username.

If you want to keep your email address private, do not allow vCard downloads.

Site Newsletter & Updates:
  • Yes
  • No
Receive the UsingEnglish.com monthly site newsletter, updates and news.

[h=3]Messaging & Notification[/h]Receive Email:
  • Receive Email from Administrators
  • Receive Email from Other Members
From time to time, the administrators and/or other members may want to send you email notifications or messages. If you do not want to receive email from certain people then you may disable the options here
Default Thread Subscription Mode: Do not subscribe Through my control panel only Instantly, using email Daily, using email Weekly, using email When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

Visitor Messaging
  • Visitor Messaging:
    • Visitor Messaging on
    • Visitor Messaging off
    This forum features a visitor messaging system that allows members to send messages to one another publicly. If you do not want to receive visitor messages, you may disable the visitor messaging system.
  • Visitor Messages Limit:
    • Limit usage of Visitor Messages to Contacts and Moderators
    • Don't limit usage of Visitor Messages
    You may limit the usage of your visitor messages to just moderators and your contacts.

[h=3]Thread Display Options[/h]Visible Post Elements:
  • Show Signatures
  • Show Avatars
  • Show Images (including attached images and images in code)[/COLOR]
    [/LIST]
    [COLOR=#777777]You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.[/COLOR]
    Thread Display Mode: Linear - Oldest First Linear - Newest First Threaded Hybrid [COLOR=#777777]Here you can choose the display mode for threads. For a full explanation of the modes, please view [URL="https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_thread_display"]this help page[/URL].[/COLOR]

Number of Posts to Show Per Page: Use Forum Default Show 5 Posts Per Page Show 10 Posts Per Page Show 20 Posts Per Page Show 30 Posts Per Page Show 40 Posts Per Page [COLOR=#777777]Use this option to set the number of posts to show in a thread before splitting the display into multiple pages.[/COLOR]
    Default Thread Age Cut Off: Use Forum Default Show threads from last day Show threads from last 2 days Show threads from last week Show threads from last 10 days Show threads from last 2 weeks Show threads from last month Show threads from last 45 days Show threads from last 2 months Show threads from last 75 days Show threads from last 100 days Show threads from last year Show all threads [COLOR=#777777]You may specify a time period from which to display threads. Threads older than the age you specify will not be shown.[/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [h=3]Date & Time Options[/h][COLOR=#212529][FONT=-apple-system]Time Zone: (GMT -12:00) Eniwetok, Kwajalein (GMT -11:00) Midway Island, Samoa (GMT -10:00) Hawaii (GMT -9:00) Alaska (GMT -8:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (GMT -7:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada) (GMT -6:00) Central Time (US & Canada), Mexico City (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada), Bogota, Lima (GMT -4:30) Caracas (GMT -4:00) Atlantic Time (Canada), La Paz, Santiago (GMT -3:30) Newfoundland (GMT -3:00) Brazil, Buenos Aires, Georgetown (GMT -2:00) Mid-Atlantic (GMT -1:00 hour) Azores, Cape Verde Islands (GMT) Western Europe Time, London, Lisbon, Casablanca (GMT +1:00 hour) Brussels, Copenhagen, Madrid, Paris (GMT +2:00) South Africa, Cairo (GMT +3:00) Baghdad, Riyadh, Kaliningrad, Moscow, St. Petersburg (GMT +3:30) Tehran (GMT +4:00) Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Yerevan, Baku, Tbilisi (GMT +4:30) Kabul (GMT +5:00) Islamabad, Karachi, Tashkent (GMT +5:30) Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, New Delhi (GMT +5:45) Kathmandu (GMT +6:00) Almaty, Dhaka, Colombo, Ekaterinburg (GMT +6:30) Yangon, Cocos Islands (GMT +7:00) Bangkok, Hanoi, Jakarta (GMT +8:00) Beijing, Perth, Singapore, Hong Kong (GMT +9:00) Tokyo, Seoul, Osaka, Sapporo (GMT +9:30) Adelaide, Darwin (GMT +10:00) Eastern Australia, Guam, Yakutsk (GMT +11:00) Magadan, Solomon Islands, New Caledonia, Vladivostok (GMT +12:00) Auckland, Wellington, Fiji, Kamchatka [COLOR=#777777]All timestamps displayed on the forums can be automatically corrected to show the correct time for your location in the world. Simply select the appropriate time zone from the list below.[/COLOR]
    DST Correction Option: Automatically detect DST settings DST corrections always on DST corrections always off [COLOR=#777777]In addition, you may set the appropriate option to allow for daylight savings time in your part of the world.[/COLOR]

Start of the Week: Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday [COLOR=#777777]Different parts of the world traditionally use a different day as the start of the week. Select the appropriate day for your region here, in order to have the calendar appear correctly.[/COLOR]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [h=3]Miscellaneous Options[/h][COLOR=#212529][FONT=-apple-system]Message Editor Interface:
    [LIST=|INDENT=5]
    [*] Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
    [*] Basic Editor - A simple text box
    [*] Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls
    [/LIST]
    [COLOR=#777777]When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.[/COLOR]

Forum Skin: Use Forum Default UsingEnglish.com (Desktop) Default Mobile Style [COLOR=#777777]There is more than one skin in which you can view the forums. If you would like to switch to a different skin, select it from this list.

Please note that some forums here may override your skin choice temporarily.[/COLOR]

Enhanced Attachment Uploading:
    [LIST=|INDENT=5]
    [*] Enhanced Attachment Uploading on
    [*] Enhanced Attachment Uploading off
    [/LIST]
    [COLOR=#777777]The forum features an enhanced attachment uploading system that allows you to reuse existing attachments via a drag and drop interface.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use the enhanced system. If you experience problems with the interface, try disabling this option.[/COLOR]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
`
To the left of that screed, do you not see this?

My Settings

It's got to be there somewhere. Don't give up. As your renowned countryman once said

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” (Confucius):-D

Is anybody else having trouble following these steps to find Edit Signature? Can anybody explain it better?

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I can only see what is shown below. It is lacking the editting signature and edittng profile picture options. I am falling and I hope I rise once and for all.
[h=2]My Settings[/h]

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Strange.

Thank you, Piscean. Please will somebody else try following my instructions to create a signature? Preferably someone in moderation or who has never posted a signature line before.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You won't wen he spels things rong.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is so nice to join this forum.

Who knows? I might have been a spy from wordreference.com. :cool:

I hope this doesn't make you mad, but I cannot find where to edit my signature line. I have checked my profile. :shock:

Try now and let me know by PM if you can't. You joined some years ago and came back now. We have a category for dormant accounts, which is a step away from deletion as we don't keep details online for longer than necessary, but it didn't seem to update when you started posting recently. I will look into the matter for cases like yours. I have manually updated the account to make you a regular poster to the database for the meantime.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
PS Please post questions about problems with accounts in the Support Area as the Webmaster doesn't spend much time looking at threads about piquing curiosity. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
PS Please post questions about problems with accounts in the Support Area as the Webmaster doesn't spend much time looking at threads about piquing curiosity. Thanks.

It works now. I really appreciate your help, Tdol. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.